Saturday 15 February 2020

Mystery GBB Gull...

Just like last weekend, another storm has arrived, this one being named as 'Dennis'.  I knew conditions for today (Saturday 15th February), would not be ideal to go out anywhere, so I had held back on publishing this post yesterday.  The reason being, I was hoping to receive an eagerly awaited recovery for a mystery colour-ringed Great Black-backed Gull.  As I prepared to go to work, I was still waiting, and on returning home, no recoveries had arrived.

Having got up just before midday today, I went down town to buy a couple of odds and ends, also calling into my local park, which was just about deserted as far as gulls are concerned.  A metal-rung Lesser Black-backed Gull is due back at the park again.  I've being keeping an eye out on the park's pavilion whilst driving by, but there is no sign of the gull yet.  There has been a lot of rain today, and it's quite dark, though not too windy.

The forecast for Sunday is not good either, with storm force winds lasting for most of the day.  By the looks of things, this will be a wasted weekend, though conditions will improve by Monday, which will see me complete my next weekly visit to Antrim Marina.
_______________________________________________

      Antrim Marina - Monday 10th February 2020       
With storm Ciara having passed yesterday, my visit to Antrim Marina this morning, was still a very stormy affair.  Gale force winds, blowing in from Lough Neagh, still rocked my car, which was parked beside the short concrete jetty.  Every so often, showers of heavy rain fell as well.  Listening to the car radio, snow on some of the highest hills in County Antrim, was causing problems for a few motorists.  It was one of those days, where you're better off lying snug at home, other than being out trying to read rings.

Arriving at the Marina shortly after 9am, having battled my way through the school traffic, only 29 Black-headed Gulls were present.  Slowly, numbers built up to around 80 gulls, with this figure more or less, remaining constant throughout the remainder of my visit.  Again, having said that, judging by colour-ringed birds, many gulls were clearly coming and going.

By 11:45am, conditions were so bad, having read just 14 of the 37 colour-ringed Black-headed Gulls recorded this winter, I called it a day and returned home.  I was going to check out the car park at Antrim's KFC outlet, as   2ADD   is now due to appear there, having spent the winter at Carrickfergus.

  2ADD  is known to stop by the fast food outlet for a couple of weeks, before moving on to Antrim Marina, where he no doubts breeds on the nearby former 'Torpedo Platform'.  Perhaps, I'll find time later this week to visit the other sites around the town of Antrim, by which time, the weather should be a little milder.


Colour Ringed Black-headed Gulls Recorded at Antrim Marina on Monday 10th February 2020
 2FDK   2ABK   2ACV   2CSR   2AAR   2BRA   2AAK 
 2CTC   2CJT   2CSL   2AAB   2AAA   2CSB   2CSJ 


Black-headed Gulls Re-Sighted or Ringed This Winter, but Not Recorded Today
 2AAP   2ABN   2ABS   2ABA   2AAN   2ABL   2AAV   2ADV 
 2AFD   2BRD   2ANS   2CSA   2CSH   2CSK   2CSS   2CSX 
 2CTA   2CTB   2CTR   2FBA   2FDJ   2FDL   2FDN   

Other Birds at Antrim Marina
On my arrival, as with the low number of Black-headed Gulls, just 29 Mallards were counted on the slipway, along with three adult Mute Swans and a cygnet.  As I parked my car, another pair of Mute Swans, were making their way in from the very choppy looking Lough Neagh.

No further Mute Swans appeared by the time of my departure, and another count of the Mallards before I left, saw the numbers decrease by two birds, to 17.

Not a single Common Gull appeared during my visit, but a third calendar year Herring Gull arrived at 09:18.  It remained until the arrival of the adult Herring Gull, which has been present here for most of this winter.  It quickly chased the newcomer away.

10 Jackdaws, were the only other species of bird to be seen at the Marina today.

I returned home, and grabbed a couple of hours sleep, which would set me up for work this evening.  Having, got up again at 4:30, I sat down with a cup of coffee to check on any emails.  There was one in, from a Tom Gourley, who has his own cafe within the premises of the new 'Gateway Centre'.  Apparently, one of the Mute Swans was found injured, and was found lying beside the former cafe, but Tom had no idea on whom to contact.

I wondered to myself, was this actually the sixth adult, which has normally been recorded over recent weeks.  As there were only five adults present on the slipway today, I've probably missed seeing this bird.  I knew the best person to contact, would be Debbie 'Doolittle' Hanna, who operates a wildlife rescue centre.  I was able to find her mobile number, which I passed on to Tom.  I'll try to find out the outcome of this situation in time for my next post.

******************************

      Sunday 9th February 2020       
With storm Ciara, due to pass over us this weekend, I remained at home on Saturday (8th) to finish off last weeks post.  Getting up at 7am on Sunday morning, conditions outside were not great, but I decided to head off to County Down anyway.  As I progressed, there was large gaps of blue sky, with a few showers, but it was still very windy.  On my way, I stopped by the high tide roost, on the pond just above the beach at Kinnegar, on the south side of Belfast Lough.

The two small islands, where many waders and some gulls would roost on, were completely submerged, forcing the birds onto the main shore.  At least 200 Knots were of interest, but they were so tightly packed together, no rings were spotted.  I then drove straight to the harbour at Ardglass.  At one point along the way, as I drove beside Strangford Lough, the waves were flowing across the road, but I managed to drive through.

Arriving at Ardglass, the two islands, in the inlet next to the harbour, had disappeared under the tidal surge.  Normally, both would be visible at high tide.  Having reached Ardglass, my first priority was to get fuel for my car as I was running low, and really needed a fill, just in case there was a power cut.  Calling into the only filling station, I nearly 'died', to find they had no diesel.  My choice then, was to either drive on to Dundrum or Downpatrick.

I chose Dundrum, which would take me through the village of Killough.  On approaching the village, the road was closed, as water from Strangford Lough, had flooded the whole of the main street.  I now had to change course again for Downpatrick, where I did manage to get a fill of diesel.

Returning to Ardglass Harbour, the tide was beginning to recede, and as the islands re-appeared, gulls began to arrive.  I stayed put, and eventually recorded five colour-ringed Great Black-backed Gulls, which after returning home, presented some interesting records for three of these birds.

Four of the gulls, belonged to the Isle of Man, but the one that really caught my eye, was a bird with a Blue Darvic from the Republic of Ireland.  Despite, all five gulls being distant from me, I was able to capture the codes on all five rings, and I was really pleased to capture the blue coded ring -   1TE .

I immediately knew, this bird was a first sighting for me, and it would have belonged to a former project belonging to Chris Honan.  It was likely that the gull was ringed as a chick, on the island of Ireland's Eye, just off the coast in County Dublin.  Previous Great Black-backed Gulls which I have recorded with similar rings, were all from the same island.

I emailed my 'Ring Reading' counterpart in Dublin - Graham Prole, who has some knowledge of Chris's former project.  Apparently, the code   1TE , on Graham's database, was not highlighted, therefore he had presumed the ring had never been used.  My sighting seems to have taken Graham by surprise as well.  By comparing other ringing on the database,   1TE   may have been colour-ringed in 2012, and the metal number may possibly be   MA29180 .  It was decided between us, that I would go ahead and report my sighting to the BTO, via the gull's code number only, just to see if they could identify the bird, supplying it's metal number.

Many birdwatchers, especially in County Dublin, would know to contact Graham, concerning these Blue Darvic rung Great Black-backed Gulls, but this seems to be yet another case, where such large gulls as these, manage to go about undetected.  As I'm about to publish this post, details are still awaited on from the BTO.

Great Black-backed Gull  -    1TE   -  Ardglass Harbour, Ardglass, Co. Down  (09 Feb 2020)
(Waiting for the Ringing Details)

Great Black-backed Gull -   T7VZ , is a bird which I looked for on a few occasions this winter, without success, at Portavogie Harbour.  The gull was ringed as a chick in July 2013, and it's first re-sighting occurred here at Ardglass Harbour in March 2014.  It's next sighting was made on the 13th February 2016, when I first recorded the bird at Portavogie Harbour.

After this, I went on to record   T7VZ , on a further five occasions at Portavogie Harbour, (27th February 2016, 30th July 2017, 23rd December 2017, 28th January 2018 and 22nd December 2018).  Having not seen the gull for quite some time, I thought it may have returned to the Isle of Man.  I was pleased to re-sight the gull again, which adds to it's longevity, which is now 6 years, 6 months and 23 days.  The distance from the Point of Ayre Gravel Pits, where the gull had been ringed as a chick, is 81 kms / 50 miles (W), to Ardglass.

Great Black-backed Gull  -    T7VZ   -  Ardglass Harbour, Ardglass, Co. Down  (09 Feb 2020)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 17th July 2013, at the Point of Ayre Gravel Pits, Isle of Man)

  S20:M , was not a code which I recognised, but on returning home and running the code through my spreadsheet, this one turned out to be another new sighting.  Having reported the bird to Mark Fitzpatrick, who is the ringing coordinator for the Isle of Man, I soon had a reply.

My sighting, was the first from outside of the Isle of Man, but more interesting, is that the bird instantly became the oldest Great Black-backed Gull on my records.  It had been ringed as a chick, on the 20th June 2001, with a metal-ring only.  The gull then went un-recorded over the years, until the 19th May 2017, when it was captured by a ringer on the Calf of Man, and was fitted with the colour-coded ring -   S20:M .

Now being easier to identify, the gull was recorded on four occasions on the Calf of Man, (July 2017, March 2018, April 2019 and September 2019), before my sighting today.  The duration from it's original ringing date, is 18 years, 7 months and 20 days.  The distance from the Calf of Man to Ardglass Harbour, is 57 kms / 35 miles (WNW).

Great Black-backed Gull  -    S20:M   -  Ardglass Harbour, Ardglass, Co. Down  (09 Feb 2020)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 20th June 2001, on the Calf of Man, Isle of Man)

Today's sighting of   S26:M , was of a bird which I did recognise from the past, and this was now the seventh record on my spreadsheet.  Ringed as a chick (8th July 2017), on Kitterland Island, a small islet between mainland Isle of Man and the island of the Calf of Man, all re-sightings have been recorded here at Ardglass Harbour - 20th June 2018 by Declan Clarke, 2nd July 2018 (Unknown), 29th July 2018, by myself, 29th May 2019 by Graham McElwaine, 9th June 2019 by myself and 13th June 2019 by Declan Clarke.

Again, I was well pleased to record the gull again, adding to it's longevity which is now 2 years, 7 months and 1 day, the distance from the Isle of Man, being 57 kms / 35 miles (WNW).

Great Black-backed Gull  -    S26:M   -  Ardglass Harbour, Ardglass, Co. Down  (09 Feb 2020)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 8th July 2017, on Kitterland Island, Isle of Man)

My sighting of   M52:M , is the second record of this juvenile since being ringed as a chick, on the 18th July 2019, on the Calf of Man.  I first recorded the youngster on the 29th September 2019, here at Ardglass Harbour.  The duration, has now increased to 6 months and 22 days, the distance being 57 kms / 35 miles (WNW).

Juvenile/1st Winter Great Black-backed Gull  -    M52:M   -  Ardglass Harbour, Ardglass, Co. Down  (09 Feb 2020)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 18th July 2019, on the Calf of Man, Isle of Man)

Over the last couple of months, there have been several reports of colour-ringed Great Black-backed and Herring Gulls here at Ardglass Harbour, most of which have been reported by Declan Clarke.  Although, there were very few large gulls present at Ardglass Harbour today, the five Great Black-backed's which I recorded, were an interesting group in one way or another.

Leaving Ardglass, I checked several locations looking at gulls, waders and even a few small groups of Brent Geese, but of these, only a metal-rung Dunlin was spotted at Millquarter Bay.  One thing I did notice during these stormy conditions, was the number of gulls flying inland against the wind, especially larger gulls.  This was constant throughout the afternoon, but goodness knows, where they were heading.

******************************

No comments: