Saturday 19 September 2020

Enjoy...

Another battle trying to sort my blog posts.  For some reason, the side-bar in my previous post, ended up at the base of my blog post, instead of running down the right hand side of the page.  I spent forever looking at the set up features trying to find the cause, but this morning (Saturday), I finally located the problem.  This was actually caused by the post itself.  Somehow, for some reason, something had crept into the coding behind my writings, which saw my side-bar being relegated to the bottom of the page.  I'm still not at all happy with Google's new interface, and the boxes for subject headings and the Antrim Marina sightings table, are not really suited to the new interface.  At some point in the future, I shall have to find a different way to include these boxes, that won't give me such a headache.

Back on to the birding side of things, I've recorded a few birds from the past, which adds to their longevities.  Another couple of gulls, have also been reported to me by other observers, which enhances the longevity records for those as well.  I would have included those sightings in this post, but I used up far too much time, trying to sort out the side-bar problems.  As well as recording new ringed birds, I try to record as many from previous winters as possible.  This is now my eighth winter of Ring Reading at Antrim Marina, and my seventh winter of Ring Reading elsewhere.  I, along with many other birdwatchers, many of which I've never met, are slowly building up profiles on our birds here in Northern Ireland, via the metals and colour-rings used.

Rings tell a story, whereas looking at an un-ringed bird, really tells you nothing.  It still amuses me, those birdwatchers who have said, they've seen this bird and that bird, which on the face of it tells you very little, but there is nothing more rewarding, than knowing the history of a particular bird.  As I've said before, Ring Reading can be challenging, but is well worth the effort.  I sometimes receive emails from those who fancy trying this branch of ornithology, but effort and patience, will get the results desired.  Then, there's the added bonus, of coming across a ringed bird, which is a sighting out of the 'blue', and we've had a couple of those here in Northern Ireland over the last couple of years.  To those that are going to take this up - go out and enjoy, and many thanks for contacting me.
____________________________________________________________
 
 
      Black-headed Gulls At Antrim Marina - Monday 14th September 2020       
On Sunday the 13th September, I decided to make a first ever visit to Mill Bay, on the County Down shore of Carlingford Lough (read below).  As this meant a long drive from my home town of Ballymena, I undertook this weeks, weekly visit to Antrim Marina on Monday morning.  Having arrived around 8:45, my visit took a turn for the worst, at 9:35.  During a previous visit on August 23rd 2020, there was much disturbance around the Marina, as two replica Viking Longboats, were being prepared for sea trials on Lough Neagh.  Well, today they returned to the Marina, to be hauled out of the water by the use of a crane, and loaded onto flat-bed lorries, to be taken away.

The first of the two longboats, sailed in at 9:35, aided by two support boats, which then headed back out, to bring in the second longboat.  The whole operation lasted until near 12:00, and I had earmarked my own departure for 12:30, as I had to return home and get a couple of hours sleep before starting work at 7pm.

With all of the noise and disturbance, there were times, when no gulls were present at all.  So far this autumn/winter season, 20 colour-ringed Black-headed Gulls have been recorded, but only 14 of these were re-sighted during today's visit, and no new returnees were recorded.  On my arrival, there were an estimated 40 BHGs present, but numbers never exceeded the 80 mark overall.
 
Colour Ringed Black-headed Gulls at Antrim Marina Today - 14th September 2020
 2ABL   2AAA   2CJT   2ACV   2CSJ   2CSR   2ABK 
 2FDK   2CSX   2ABS   2AAK   2ABN   2AAN   2BRA 

Black-headed Gulls Recorded This Autumn/Winter, but not Present Today
 2AAV   2AAB   2ABA   2CSA   2CSB   2CTC 

Other Birds at Antrim Marina
The Mute Swan couple, along with their six cygnets, were present throughout my visit, and they, along with the Mallards, were unfazed by all of the commotion.  On Saturday evening past, I drove to Coleraine, to collect the metal swan rings from my ringing trainer - John Clark.  My younger son, Adrian, is now available, and we shall visit Antrim Marina next Sunday morning, to begin ringing the cygnets.  We aim to get the six youngsters ringed first, and will then ring the adults.  This may take a couple of visits to complete the task, but I'll then be able to keep tabs on the youngsters once they disperse.  The adult pair, should remain at the Marina, and I'll be able to keep a check on them too.  If and when possible, I'll try and ring other visiting swans, but I'll be relient on having a helping hand.
 
Just six Mallards were present on my arrival, but numbers very quickly built up to around the 80 mark.  Once again, most legs were checked, but still no rings.
 
The juvenile Herring Gull was also present on my arrival, with this bird having remained here for several weeks now.  The adult Herring Gull appeared quite late, at 11:45, as did the pair of Lesser Black-backed Gulls.  One adult Common Gull, came and went, several times, and a second adult appeared briefly at 11:20.
 
A juvenile Grey Wagtail, 4 Hooded Crows and a maximum count of 8 Jackdaws was made.  Overall, this was another poor visit, and I've still many Black-headed Gulls unaccounted for at present.  Many of these, were ringed in the past couple of winters, but surely they can't all be non-residents.
  
First of the Longboats Arrive back to the Marina  -  Antrim Marina  (14 Sep 2020)
 
Preparing to be Lifted by the Crane  -  Antrim Marina  (14 Sep 2020)

Onto the Lorry  -  Antrim Marina  (14 Sep 2020)

***************************************
 
      Saturday 12th September 2020       
Today, I headed off to Belfast again, with Whitehouse Lagoon, the shore of Belfast Lough below Hazelbank Park, and Kinnegar Beach being my main targets for the day.  Altogether, eight colour-rings were read, these being five re-sightings, along with three new birds.
 
Other than a metal-rung Black-headed Gull, and a metal-rung Herring Gull, both of which, were too far away to even attempt photographing their rings, no colour-ringed birds were seen, especially that of a Polish Black-headed Gull, which is now long overdue.
 
Walking the footpath from Whitehouse Lagoon, to the shore of Belfast Lough, below Hazelbank Park takes you underneath the motorway which divides them.  I spent quite a long time along this shore, as their were masses of gulls and waders, especially Godwits of both species.  The first colour-ringed bird spotted, was an Oystercatcher belonging to a Northern Ireland Project - R-Wf(AXN).  Actually, this was my second sighting of this bird, as I first recorded it recently, on the 30th August 2020.  Ringed with a plain 'Red Ring' on the left tibia, on the right tibia, the bird had a 'White Flag' - inscribed with the letters - (AXN).  This bird was reported to the BTO, and they in turn contacted the ringer for the ringing details, but as yet, the ringer concerned is yet to respond.
 
Oystercatcher  -  R-Wf(AXN)  -  Hazelbank Park (Shore), Belfast Lough  (12 Sep 2020
(Waiting for the Ringing Details)
 
What's even worse, was the next colour-ringed bird spotted, was a second Oystercatcher, belonging to the same ringer.  This one, was ringed with a plain 'Red Ring' on the left tibia, and on the right tibia, had a 'White Flag', this time inscribed with the letters - 'APX'.  I've submitted both of today's sightings to the BTO, but I fear, it may take a while to obtain the ringing information.  To compound the situation even more, I'm still waiting on the ringing details for two colour-ringed Curlews, which also belonged to that ringer, these having been spotted on the 22nd August 2020.  Apparently, the two Curlews, were trapped and ringed during last winter, and the BTO did not have ringing information on them either.  This situation, is frankly appalling, especially by the fact, that these colour-ringing projects were funded in the first place. 
 
Oystercatcher  -  R-Wf(APX)  -  Hazelbank Park (Shore), Belfast Lough  (12 Sep 2020)
(Waiting for the Ringing Details)
 
It was back to normal, with my third colour-ring sighting, along this stretch of shore.  Actually, it was one of two colour-ringed Black-headed Gulls, bearing 'Orange Darvic's'.  Both birds belonged to Adam McClure's former project, which I now respond to.  The first bird, was standing in a pool of water, with just the top of the Darvic visible, but it eventually flew off.  I couldn't believe my eyes, when I read the code for the second bird.  This was   2ANB , whose ring I had read six days earlier on the roof of the Baptist Church in the town of Antrim.  As I stated in my previous post, the sighting of   2ANB  was a surprise, and this bird continues to supply surprise re-sightings.
 
Today's sighting, is now my sixth for the bird overall.  Ringed as a chick, on the 15th July 2015, it's first three re-sightings occurred, at Whitehouse Lagoon, just over the motorway from where it was now.  These occurred on the 4th & 11th September 2016, and on the 30th September 2018.  Earlier this year, on the 2nd March 2020, I spotted   2ANB , in the car park of the KFC outlet in Antrim Town, where I had totally un-expected to see it.  Having recorded it in Antrim, just six days ago, I now wonder if it bred in the Antrim area over the summer, perhaps on the former 'Torpedo Platform'.  Sadly, I can only speculate, unless I can obtain some summer sightings.  Having been ringed as a chick, on the RSPB's Blue Circle Island Reserve on Larne Lough, the distance to where I spotted it today, is just 19 kms / 11 miles (SSW), the duration since ringing, being 5 years, 1 month and 28 days.
 
Black-headed Gull  -    2ANB   -  Hazelbank Park (Shore), Belfast Lough  (12 Sep 2020)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 15th July 2015, at the RSPB Blue Circle Island Reserve, Larne Lough, Co. Antrim)
 
Having spent a long time here, and no further rings found, I eventually departed for Kinnegar Beach, having taken another quick look at Whitehouse Lagoon on my way back to the car.  By now, the tide was on it's way in again, which was a perfect time to go to Kinnegar.  On my arrival, there wasn't as many gulls and waders around, but for the first time so far this winter, there were numerous Sandwich and Common Terns, with their chicks still tow.  Four out of five colour-rings were read on Sandwich Terns, and a colour-ringed Oystercatcher was re-sighted just prior to my departure.
 
Two of the Sandwich Terns were re-sightings, and the other two were first sightings in Northern Ireland.  The first of the re-sightings, was that of (White) - UZF.  (White) - UZF, was ringed as a chick, on the 17th July 2016, on Coquet Island, situated just off the coast of Northumberland in England.  It's first three re-sightings were recorded in 2018, where it was spotted on it's natal island, in July and August, before being recorded here in Northern Ireland.  It was Cameron Moore, who spotted the bird at Whitehead, on the County Antrim coast, just a few kilometres north, from where I spotted the tern today.  It was next seen in August 2019, on the Ayrshire coast in Scotland, before two quick re-sightings in August 2020.  On the 16th, it was once again spotted back home on Coquet Island, but twelve days later on the 28th, it was recorded at Rush, Co. Dublin, in the Republic of Ireland, and a further fifteen days later, here it is at Kinnegar.  The straight line distance from Coquet Island to Kinnegar, is 286 kms / 177 miles (WSW), but being a coastal bird, would have flown many miles further to get here.  The duration since ringing, is 4 years, 1 month and 26 days.
 
Sandwich Tern  -  (White)  UZF  -  Kinnegar Beach, Belfast Lough, Co. Down  (12 Sep 2020)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 17th July 2016, on Coquet Island, Northumbria, England)
 
The second of the terns to be re-sighted was that of (White) EDL, which was ringed as an un-sexed adult, on the 17th August 2010, at the Ythan Estuary, in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.  The duration is now 10 years, and 26 days, since this bird was ringed, but today's sighting, is only the sixth record for this tern.  It was first re-sighted just off the coast of Tiguent, in Mauritania, on the 10th November 2011, some 4,606 kms / 2,862 miles (SSW), from Scotland.  Sightings two and three, occurred in August 2013 (at Saltcoats, Ayrshire, Scotland), and in May 2015 (at Coquet Island, Northumberland, England).
 
On the 14th September 2017, Cameron Moore, spotted (White) EDL at Whitehead in County Antrim - it's first know appearance here in Northern Ireland.  The bird was not seen again, until I recorded it here at Kinnegar Beach, on the 26th August 2018, with this being the last sighting until today.  The distance from the Ythan Estuary to Kinnegar Beach, is 383 kms / 237 miles (SW).  My thanks to Ewan Weston, for the history of (White) EDL. 
 
Sandwich Tern  -  (White)  EDL  -  Kinnegar Beach, Belfast Lough, Co. Down  (12 Sep 2020)
(Ringed as an Un-Sexed Adult, on the 17th August 2010, on the Ythan Estuary, Aberdeenshire, Scotland)
 
The first of the two new Sandwich Tern sightings, was that of (White) UFZ.  On site, I had to re-check the ring of UZF, as both birds rings, were read just seconds apart, and I wondered if I'd made a mistake in reading them.  Nope, no mistake, these were two separate sightings.  (White) UFZ, was also from Coquet Island, having been ringed as a chick, on the 2nd August 2015, which is an unusually late date for a Sandwich Tern chick to be ringed.  It's first re-sighting was made in the Calvados Region, in NW France, on the 13th August 2017.  No further sightings were recorded until June 2019, through to August 2019, and again in April 2020, where it was noted back on Coquet Island.  On the 27th August 2020, (White) UFZ, turned up in Rhos Point in Wales, which was it's last sighting until today.  As with (White) UZF mentioned above, the distance from Coquet Island to Kinnegar Beach, is 286 kms / 177 miles (WSW), and the duration since ringing, is now 5 years, 1 month and 10 days.

My thanks goes to Chris Redfern, for supplying the histories for both birds.
 
Sandwich Tern  -  (White)  UFZ  -  Kinnegar Beach, Belfast Lough, Co. Down  (12 Sep 2020)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 2nd August 2015, on Coquet Island, Northumbria, England)  
 
The second new Sandwich Tern sighting, was that of -   K5F .  Having checked the cr-birding website, to find the owner, Tony Murray was as ever, quick to reply to my email.    K5F , had been ringed as a chick, on the 29th May 2017, at Lady Island's Lake, in County Wexford in the Republic Of Ireland.  Still being quite a young bird,   K5F , is creating quite an interesting re-sighting history.  Having been ringed in May 2017, it was still at Lady's Island Lake, the following month - 17th June 2017.
 
The next two sightings were made in March and April 2018, where   K5F , was recorded at the Mile 4 Saltworks, in Namibia, Africa.  Following these, the bird was next recorded twice, on Coquet Island, in Northumberland, England, on the 2nd August 2019, and on the 2nd June 2020.  Seven days later, on the 9th June 2020,   K5F  then turned up on the opposite side of the North Sea, when recorded in the Texel area of the Netherlands.  By the 1st September 2020, the bird had returned home, to Lady's Island Lake, but was seen on that same day, at Duncannon Strand, also in County Wexford, and now the bird is here on Kinnegar Beach.  The distance from Lady's Island Lake to Kinnegar Beach, is 273 kms / 169 miles (N), the duration being, 3 years, 3 months and 14 days.
 
My thanks to Tony for the interesting re-sighting history for   K5F , and I really hope we'll record it again sometime in the future, here in Northern Ireland.
 
Sandwich Tern  -    K5F   -  Kinnegar Beach, Belfast Lough, Co. Down  (12 Sep 2020)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 29th May 2017, at Lady's Island Lake, Co. Wexford, Republic of Ireland)
 
I was incredibly lucky with my visit to Kinnegar Beach this afternoon.  Being such a nice day, I'd often be plaughed by people venturing out onto the beach.  The visit went well, but as usual the inevitable happened.  A walker, out with his dog, decided to dander along the shoreline, thus upsetting all of the birds present.  Actually, where he joined the shoreline, he disturbed a lot of gulls and waders, which for a few minutes at least, saw the birds landing again near to where I was sat.  Scoping through these, I re-sighted an Icelandic colour-ringed Oystercatcher, which has returned again.
 
Ringed Yellow over Lime on the left leg, and White (UA), on the right leg - YL-W(UA), this bird was caught and ringed as a breeding adult, on the 23rd May 2018, in the Stokkseyri area of southern Iceland.  It's first re-sighting, was recorded by me, here on Kinnegar Beach on the 26th August 2018.  I re-sighted it here at Kinnegar in November 2018 and January 2019, before it was recorded back in Iceland in April and May of 2019.
 
It returned to Kinnegar, for the second year running, where I recorded it in the months of September (14th), October and December.  At present, Boddi in Iceland, is in the process of collecting all of the summer sightings of their Oystercatchers during the breeding season, so the re-sighting histories have yet to be fully updated, but at least YL-W(UA), had made it back here for the third winter running.  The distance from Stokkseyri, to Kinnegar, is 1,335 kms / 829 miles (SE), and the duration since ringing, is now 2 years, 3 months and 20 days.
 
Oystercatcher  -  YL-W(UA)  -  Kinnegar Beach, Belfast Lough, Co. Down  (12 Sep 2020)
(Ringed as an Un-Sexed Breeding Adult, on the 23rd May 2018, at  Stokkseyri, Southern Iceland)
 
 ***************************************
 
      Sunday 13th September 2020       
Sitting at home on Saturday evening, I played with the idea of visiting Mill Bay, on Carlingford Lough in County Down.  Of late, Graham McElwaine, has reported several colour-ringed Herring and Great Black-backed Gulls here, and I was curious to see what the site looked like, as I've never been there.  Although, it would have meant a long drive, I eventually made my mind up to go.  When I arrived, the tide was already well on it's way out, but the mudflats here are quite impressive.
 
Straight away, I discovered a few small groups of Brent Geese, these being the first that I've seen this winter.  Scoping through them, I spotted three colour-ringed birds, which were quickly captured with my camera.  I do not know whether the new Online Database for the Brents, is up and running yet, but I've asked Graham McElwaine to let me know.  The Database should have been up and running quite a while ago, but I knew there had been some issues with it.  For now, I've sent the photos to Graham, who was the ringing co-ordinator for the Irish Brent Goose Research Group.
 
Brent Goose  -  Orange(C)-Black(B)  -  Mill Bay, Carlingford Lough, Co. Down  (13 Sep 2020)
 
Brent Goose  -  R(V)-B(T)  -  Mill Bay, Carlingford Lough, Co. Down  (13 Sep 2020)
 
Brent Goose  -  R(V)-B(D)  -  Mill Bay, Carlingford Lough, Co. Down  (13 Sep 2020)
 
Having sorted out the Brents, I stayed on site for a long time, scoping through a mulitude of gulls and waders, though many were a long way off from me.  A colour-ringed Lapwing, was the first to catch my eye, having a plain 'Red Ring' on it's left tibia, and a 'Yellow Flag' on the right tibia.  I suspected that this bird, may well have had a two-letter code on the flag, but at that distance, I had no hope of capturing it.
 
Colour-ringed Lapwing -  R-YF(??)  -  Mill Bay, Carlingford Lough, Co. Down  (13 Sep 2020)
 
Every so often, the birds would lift into the air, before settling down again.  This was of great help, as I then spotted a colour-ringed Black-headed Gull - (White) 2093.  I knew straight away, that this bird belonged to a new project, centered on Lough Ree, in County Longord in the Republic of Ireland.  I recorded another one from that project at Antrim Marina, back in February 2020, this one being - (White) 2122.  I emailed Brian Burke, who replied to say that (White) 2093, was ringed as a chick, on the 10th June 2019, the same date as (White) 2122.
 
My sighting of (White) 2093, was a first for this gull, and is the 17th bird from a total of 298 chicks, which has been re-sighted to date.  The distance from Lough Ree, to Mill Bay, is 136 kms / 84 miles (ENE), the duration being 1 year, 3 months and 3 days, since ringing.  My thanks to Brian for the speedy reply.
 
Black-headed Gull  -  (White) 2093  -  Mill Bay, Carlingford Lough, Co. Down  (13 Sep 2020)
(Ringed as a chick, on the 10th June 2019, on Lough Ree, Co. Longford, Republic of Ireland)
 
A Great Black-backed Gull with an Orange Darvic, was barely in range of my camera, but I captured an 'iffy' looking code -   S86:M .  Knowing it was an Isle of Man bird, I sent the photos to Mark Fitzpatrick, who was more than happy to confirm my sighting.  This was a first re-sighting for   S86:M , which had been ringed as a chick, on the 21st June 2019, on the Calf of Man, a small island just off the southern coast of the Isle of Man.  The distance to Mill Bay, was 83 kms / 51 miles (E), the duration being, 1 year, 2 months and 23 days.  A further two Great Black-backed's were also spotted with colour-rings - one Orange and one Black, but both birds were far too far away.  My thanks to Mark, in dealing with this gull.

Immature Great Black-backed Gull  -    S86:M   -  Mill Bay, Carlingford Lough, Co. Down  (13 Sep 2020)
(Ringed as a chick, on the 21st June 2019, on the Calf of Man, Isle of Man)

One of my own Common Gulls, was my final colour-ring sighting of the day, but this one looks to have 'beat' me.  Bearing a Blue Darvic, the code appears to read, either   2BLV  or   2BIV , which makes this bird to be one of my Rathlin Island youngsters ringed in June 2019.  It was so far out, and with the sun shining off the ring, it did not help at all.  My photo, has been circulated to a few other birdwatchers, just to see what they make of the code.

Footnote :-  Having received several replies about this gull, everyone has gone for   2BIV .  I shall add this to my records, along with a cautionary note.  Should this gull survive until next summer, it may well return to Rathlin Island, to prospect a nest-site for 2022.  Should   2BLV  appear as well, then we'll be no further forward regarding this particular sighting.  Another confirmed record here at Mill Bay, would help though.

Common Gull  -    2BIV   or    2BLV   -  Mill Bay, Carlingford Lough, Co. Down  (13 Sep 2020)
(Both ringed as Chicks, in June 2019, on Rathlin Island)

All in all, this was quite an enjoyable visit, and provided me with some different scenery for a change.  I had wanted to visit Dundrm and Ardglass on my way back home, but I ran into an accident near Annalong.  The Police diverted traffic along narrow country roads towards the Mourne Mountains, and it took an exceptionally long time to get back onto the main line.  Being so late in the day, I decided just to head for home.  Later on the Northern Ireland news, it was reported that a cyclist was in a serious condition, having been involved in a collision with a lorry on that stretch of road.

***************************************
 
      From Marc Hughes       
In my previous post, I reported on the second sighting of an Inch Island, colour-ringed Black-headed Gull -   2FCK , with the bird having been spotted at Llanon, in Ceredigion in Wales.  Recorded on the 9th September 2020, I then received an email from a Marc Hughes on the 13th September 2020, reporting the sighting of   2FCK , on Cei Bach Beach, in Ceredigion in Wales, this being slightly south from Llanon.

I never got to ring any chicks at Inch Island this summer, due to the Coronavirus Lockdown.  In the summer of 2019, I ringed 56 Black-headed Gull chicks, at Inch.  50 of those, were also colour-ringed, though one died before fledging.  Of the remaining 49 colour-ringed chicks, the first to be reported, was   2FCV , in the City of Cork, in the Republic of Ireland - (1st & 2nd December 2019).  The duration, has increased by four days, to 1 year, 2 months and 25 days, and the distance to Cei Bach Beach, is roughly 376 kms / 233 miles (SE (Pending Offical BTO Distance)).  My thanks to Marc for reporting the gull, along with a photo - taken with his mobile phone.  Marc stated, that they were actually out to look for colour-ringed Mediterranean Gulls at that time.
 
Black-headed Gull  -    2FCK   -  Cei Bach Beach, Ceredigion, Wales  (13 Sep 2020)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 19th June 2019, at Inch Island Lake, Co. Donegal, Republic of Ireland)
(Photo Courtesy of Marc Hughes)
 
 ****************************************
 
 

No comments: