Friday 15 October 2021

Super-fast Reply...

Knowing I had to remain at home last Saturday to 'babysit' the wife's cats, I had plenty of time to finish off last week's post, plus catch up on a lot of filing.  It wasn't until I began the filing, that I realised I had to create quite a few folders for all new sightings which have been reported.  Every ringed bird has it's own folder, with each being labelled by species, metal number, and colour-ring should it apply, being given in brackets.  Every photo which is labelled, including edited photos, has then to be moved one by one into it's correct folder.

By Saturday evening, my eyes were burning, and I developed a seriously bad headache, which I contributed to having wore my glasses for so long.  When I woke up on Sunday morning, I realised that I had developed a 'head cold' - my head was still 'banging', my nose began to run, and my neck was really stiff.  I decided the best thing, was to remain at home, and not chance any further problems by being exposed to the weather.
 
My weekly visit to Antrim Marina on Monday morning, was a 'must do', and thankfully I felt a lot better.  It seems as if I had caught a 24 hour head cold, as by the time I had a couple of hours sleep before starting work on Monday night, I was beginning to feel 'grand' again.
 
During the past week, another good number of ring sightings have been reported to me.  Several of these are of birds, which had already been reported recently.  I'm sitting on three Great Black-backed Gull sightings, which I believe, are first sightings in Northern Ireland, having been reported by Graham McElwaine and David Nixon.  I have details for one bird, but I'll report on all three, once I receive details for the other two.
 
It's been another busy week answering emails, and I have not been able to sort out Suzanne Belshaw's Greylag Geese sightings, and that of a Mute Swan.
________________________________________________________________________________
 
      Antrim Marina - Monday 11th October 2021       
I arrived at Antrim Marina slightly later this morning, as I could not get out of my own back garden due to an oil delivery at a neighbours house.  Today was calm and sunny, unlike my previous two visits, where I had to contend with a strong westerly wind blowing in from Lough Neagh.  I had no trouble getting the car into the front car park, which is so helpful.

With Graham McElwaine, reporting the return of -   2FFC  last Monday afternoon, I was on the lookout for 33 colour-ringed Black-headed Gulls today, which have been recorded or ringed here so far this winter.  Around 100 gulls were already present, and the first two rings to be recorded at 9:28, were those of -   2ABS  &   2CSB .  Both were perched on the short concrete jetty, just in front of where I park the car.
 
Grabbing my telescope, I walked over to the small sandy beach, where I could view the gulls on the long wooden jetty.  The next colour-ring spotted, had me racing back to the car to collect my camera.  The gull was standing in the middle of other gulls, which was not helpful, but I did manage a couple of photos of it's ring, which was 'pigging' (in other words - filthy).  I was thrilled, that this gull -   2FDV , has now returned to Antrim Marina.
 
Last winter, this gull arrived as a juvenile and was first spotted on the 19th October 2020, bearing a metal ring (see photo below).  I managed to capture the ring number which read -   EZ78694 .  Having reported the youngster to the BTO, the recovery came back, saying that it had been ringed as a chick, on the 13th July 2020, at Marsh House Farm, at Stockton-on-Tees in England.  The distance to Antrim Marina, was given as 323 kms / 200 miles (W), and the duration at the time of my first sighting, was 3 months and 6 days.
 
During my weekly visit to Antrim Marina, on the 9th November 2020, I managed to capture the gull and fitted the colour-ring -   2FDV  to it's left leg.  After this time, the bird was recorded at the Marina up until the 4th January 2021, after which time the second 'Covid Lockdown' began.  On the easing of restrictions in early April 2021,   2FDV , was still at the Marina on the 12th April, this being my last sighting until today.
 
I had hoped, the gull would be spotted somewhere over the summer months, and by the time I resumed my weekly visits in early August, I was now 'hoping upon hope' that -   2FDV  would return.  I was really so glad to see it again, and obtained better photos later during this visit.  There is no fear in this gull, as it is so people friendly.  Even though it has been away for some time now, it readily walks right up to your feet.  The duration since being ringed as a chick, it now 1 year, 2 months and 28 days.  What a way, to start off today's visit to the Marina.
 
Black-headed Gull  -    2FDV   -  Antrim Marina, Antrim Town, Co. Antrim  (11 Oct 2021)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 13th July 2020, at Marsh House Farm, Stockton-on-Tees, England)
 
My 21st colour-ring sighting of the morning, at 10:43, once again saw me rushing back to my car to grab the camera.  Having scoped the code -   2FFN , I instantly knew that this was a second returnee for today's visit, though in my mind, I could not place the gull.  On returning home, I checked my spreadsheet, to find that I had caught and ringed this bird as an un-sexed adult, here on the 14th December 2020.
 
After this gull was ringed, I never did see or hear of it again until today, which at that time, was not helped by the second 'Covid Lockdown' which began after my visit on the 4th January 2021, and lasted until early April.  It is now 9 months and 27 days, since -   2FFN  was caught and ringed. 
 
Black-headed Gull  -    2FFN   -  Antrim Marina, Antrim Town, Co. Antrim  (11 Oct 2021)
(Ringed as an Un-Sexed Adult, on the 14th December 2020, at Antrim Marina)
 
Over the course of the morning, numbers remained constant around the 100 mark, though some of the gulls were obviously coming and going.  After 11am, numbers began to decrease, with around 40 birds present on my departure.  I could see some gulls resting on the roof of the 'Gateway Centre', but I had no idea how many were up there altogether.  One good thing about strong winds - it keeps the gulls off that roof.    2FFP  was the 25th colour-ring to be read at 11:56, just prior to my departure, which meant I had 8 absentees today.  Good to see that -   2BRA  appeared today.  This normally regular year round resident, had been absent for over a month.
 
Last winter, I caught and ringed 18 Black-headed Gulls altogether, which consisted of a mix, of juvenile and adult birds, but surprisingly no 2nd Winter birds.  With the return of -   2FFC  last Monday, and the two returnees today, 12 of those 18 birds have now been recorded back at the Marina so far this winter.
 
Late on this afternoon as I was preparing to go to work, an email arrived from a David Morrow.  Around 4pm today, David was out 'birding' around Ballyronan, when he spotted Black-headed Gull -   2FFH .  This bird, was one of the 18 gulls that I caught and ringed last winter at the Marina, and so far, has not returned this winter.  I replied to David's email, asking if the gull was spotted at Ballyronan Marina, and if he managed to obtain a photograph, but there's been no reply.  Ballyronan is situated towards the north-west shore of Lough Neagh, whereas, Antrim Marina is in the north-east corner of the Lough.
 
  2FFH , was caught and ringed as a juvenile/1st winter bird, on the 7th December 2020, at the Marina.  My last sighting for this one occurred after the easing of the 'second lockdown' restrictions, during a visit to the Marina on the 12th April 2021.  Ballyronan lies 18 kms / 11 miles (W), of Antrim Marina, and the duration from ringing, is now 10 months and 5 days.  If I do not hear anything more from David by Saturday, I might just decide to visit Ballyronan myself, which would be an ideal position, to move on to Kinnego Marina and Lurgan Park, both situated on the southern shore of Lough Neagh.
 
Black-headed Gull  -    2FFH   -  Antrim Marina, Antrim Town, Co. Antrim  (14 Dec 2020)
(Ringed as a juvenile/1st Winter Bird, on the 7th December 2020, at Antrim Marina)
 
Today, I did make a half-hearted attempt to catch another gull or two before I departed, but with it being such a pleasant day, the birds were not really tempted to come that close to me.  With the addition of -   2FDV  &   2FFN  today, I will be looking for 35 gulls altogether on my next visit.
 
The next two visits also could see the return of three gulls which have been recorded in foreign countries.  If they have survived the past breeding season, then -   2AAR  &   2CSL  should arrive back from Poland, as well as the eagerly awaited return of -   2FDJ  from Estonia.    2FDJ , had been reported just 44 kms away from the border with Russia, back in April.
 
Perhaps, another one or two of my colour-ringed gulls will also return, from destinations as yet unknown.  Then there's -   2ADV , which under normal circumstances, is also due back.  Last winter, this gull failed to return, but on the 28th December 2020, it was reported (along with photo), at Portrack Retail Park at Stockton-on-Tees in England, by an Ian Foster.  Why it did not return is a mystery - could it have been sick or carrying an injury, though in the photo the gull looked healthy enough.
 
Then there's   2AFD , a gull that is known to go to Latvia.  Although ringed at the Marina as an adult in 2014, in recent years, it has become a rare visitor to the Marina.  In March 2019, I discovered that -   2AFD  now frequents the Castle Way car park in the centre of Antrim town.  My only sighting of this gull last winter, occurred on the 22nd November 2020, at that car park.  The earliest return date ever recorded for -   2AFD , was made on the 1st November 2015.
 
The next few weeks should be interesting in one way or another, and there's always the possibility of other foreign ringed gulls turning up at Antrim Marina as well.
 
Colour Ringed Black-headed Gulls Recorded at Antrim Marina on Monday 11th October 2021
 2ABS   2CSB   2FDV   2FDK   2FFL   2ABK   2FFA   2CJT   2FFF 
 2CSA   2ACV   2FHA   2AAA   2FHC   2ABL   2FFJ   2FDT   2AAN 
 2CSJ   2CTC   2FFN   2FFX   2CSR   2BRA   2FFP     

Black-headed Gulls Recorded This Autumn/Winter but Absent Today
 2AAB   2AAK   2ABA   2ABN   2CSX   2FFC   2FHF   2FHH   2FHJ   2FHK 

Other Birds at Antrim Marina
2 adult Common Gulls were already on the long wooden jetty on my arrival this morning.  I'm fairly sure that these same two birds, came and went throughout the morning.  Still no sign of the small Scottish metal-rung bird, last seen back in August.  The adult Herring Gull which has no fear on coming close to feeds was also present throughout my visit.  A juvenile Herring Gull which appeared around 10.40, was still present by the time of my departure.  While I was attempting to catch a couple of Black-headed Gulls, the juvenile Herring Gull came so close, I could have nearly caught it.  I have a small number of 'G' rings, so I will keep them at hand next time, just in case I can catch this bird.

The Mute Swan family, with the six cygnets, was also present throughout today's visit.  Sometimes, these cygnets are with their mother only, but at other times, a male is with the family, which must be the father.  There is never any conflict when they are all together.  Also present throughout my visit, was another single adult, plus an adult pair.  The single bird, sits with me at my car during my visits, much to the amusement of passers by.  I tell them, he likes to listen to the radio.
 
Mallard numbers, increased from around 60 birds, to around 90 by the time of my departure.  Again, most legs were checked, but still no rings.
 
A low flying Buzzard gave all the gulls a scare at 10:15.  I actually spotted it, as it came into view passing the side of the 'Gateway Centre' at a height of around 20 feet, and flew over the long wooden jetty, over the river, and into the wood at Antrim Boat Club.
 
Just 8 Jackdaws, and a juvenile Hooded Crow, were the only other species noted today.
 
********************************************************
 
      From John O'Boyle & Dermot Hughes       
John O'Boyle is a new contact for me, having been introduced recently via emails from David Nixon.  Now knowing I'd be the best person to report a ring sighting to, John who was accompanied by Dermot Hughes reported a juvenile Common Gull, which they spotted at Luke's Point, Ballyholme in County Down, on the 1st October 2021.

This was now the second sighting of -   2HBK , at Ballyholme in recent weeks.  On the 29th August, Jonathan Clarke, was the first to re-sight the young gull on Ballyholme Beach.    2HBK , was ringed as a chick, on the 13th June 2021, during the first of three planned visits, to ring chicks on the nearby Big Copeland Island.  On that first visit, I unwittingly ran into access issues, and therefore had to cancel all further visits.

On that first visit, I colour-ringed the 19 biggest chicks that I could find, and -   2HBK  is still the only one of those to have been reported so far.  The distance from Big Copeland Island to Ballyholme, is 8 kms / 4 miles (W), and the duration since being ringed, is now 3 months and 18 days.
 
My thanks goes to John and Dermot for this second sighting, at least I know one youngster is still on the go.  There were no photo's to go along with the sighting report, so I've added the one taken by Jonathan on the 29th August 2021.

Juvenile Common Gull  -    2HBK   -  Ballyholme Beach, Ballyholme, Co. Down  (29 Aug 2021)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 13th June 2021, on Big Copeland Island, Co. Down)
(Photo Courtesy of Jonathan Clark)
 
 ********************************************************
 
      From Brian Chambers       
Not so long ago, I copied Brian into an email response to Suzanne Belshaw concerning her sighting of a Great Black-backed Gull on Tyrella Beach in County Down.  This happened to be a second re-sighting, as the bird landed on Brian's fishing boat back on the 24th August 2020, three miles out to sea from Annalong in County Down.  Brian of course, was delighted to hear that the gull had been spotted for a second time, and was alive and well.

Brian is a fairly new contact, but when a juvenile Great Black-backed Gull landed on his boat on the 10th October 2021, Brian emailed me to see if I could find the owner.  At the time of Brian's sighting, his boat was roughly half way between Kilkeel in County Down, and the Isle of Man.  With the given co-ordinates for the sighting, I worked it out, that the boat was roughly 24 miles (E or ENE) from Kilkeel.  With the gull carrying the colour ring -   259:M , I knew this was a Scottish Bird, which was likely to have been ringed on the Isle of May.
 
I emailed Mark Oksien, who is the lead for the colour-ringing project on the Isle of May, and copied in Samuel Langlois Lopez, who has recently began a PhD, concerning the gulls.  I sent the email at 21:10 on Sunday evening, and by 21:20, Samuel replied with everything that we needed.
 
Although the project is run by Mark, Samuel himself ringed -   259:M , as a chick on the 30th June 2021, on the Isle of May.  The Isle of May, is a small island, which is situated just off the east coast of Scotland - on the Firth of Forth.  I have submitted the sighting to the BTO, but as yet I have not received the recovery details.  I worked out an unofficial distance, as being 292 kms / 181 miles (SW), to where the gull landed on Brian's boat.  Brian's sighting, was also a first for this juvenile, coming 3 months and 10 days after being ringed.
 
My thanks goes to Brian for this sighting, along with a superb photograph, and also to Samuel for his super-fast reply.  It was a real pleasure, to 'wrap' up everything so quickly.  A poster relating to Sam's new PhD project can be viewed (here), and we all wish him well to it's success. 
 
Juvenile Great Black-backed Gull  -    259:M   -  At Sea, 24 miles East of Kilkeel, Co. Down  (10 Oct 2021)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 30th June 2021, on the Isle of May, Firth of Forth, Scotland)
(Photo Courtesy of Brian Chambers)
 
 ********************************************************
 
      From Ronnie Doggart       
As well as an email from Brian Chambers on the 10th October, I also received one from another new contact - Ronnie Doggart.  Ronnie had been at Kinnegar Beach on the southern shore of Belfast Lough earlier that day, and spotted one of my Common Gulls, a juvenile, rung -   2BXJ .
 
 2BXJ , is the first of the Common Gull chicks which I ringed this past summer, to be spotted away from Rathlin Island.  I ringed it at the Arkill Bay colony on Rathlin, on the 29th June 2021, and re-sighted the youngster as having fledged, on the 11th July, though still at Arkill Bay.  For the second summer in a row, the Common Gulls on Rathlin, had a very poor breeding season, which resulted in just 31 chicks being colour-ringed.  With so few chicks ringed, the chances of sightings this winter are slim, so Ronnie's sighting was very much appreciated.
 
The distance from Rathlin to Kinnegar Beach, is 75 kms / 46 miles (SSE), and the duration since being ringed, is now 3 months and 11 days.  My thanks goes to Ronnie for reporting the sighting, along with the photograph.
 
Juvenile Common Gull  -    2BXJ   -  Kinnegar Beach, Belfast Lough, Co. Down  (10 Oct 2021)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 29th June 2021, at Arkill Bay, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim0
(Photo Courtesy of Ronnie Doggart)
 
 ********************************************************
 
      From Francis Young & John Smyth       
On the 6th October 2021, a Francis Young reported a colour-ringed gull to Mark Fitzpatrick on the Isle of Man.  The gull did not belong to the Isle of Man, and in his reply to Francis, reckoned the bird belonged to an Irish project, and copied me in, saying I could sort this one out.

I then re-directed the reply to Graham Prole, who is the ringing co-ordinator for the Irish Midlands Ringing Group.  Unusual for Graham, we had to wait a bit for the reply, which eventually arrived back.  Apologies for the delay, Graham has been hard at work of late. 
 
Personally, not knowing whether the gull was ringed -   R12:D  or   R72:D , I knew Graham would be able to sort this one out.  The gull Francis had spotted was indeed -   R72:D , as apparently -   R12:D , had been reported recently in Galicia, Spain.
 
  R72:D , was ringed as a Great Black-backed Gull chick, on the 13th June 2021, on Dalkey Island, situated just off the coast of County Dublin in the Republic of Ireland.  The sighting on the 6th October 2021 at Portavogie Harbour, was a first for this bird, occurring 3 months and 23 days after being ringed.  The offical distance from the BTO recovery, was given as 139 kms / 86 miles (NNE).
 
Juvenile Great Black-backed Gull  -    R72:D   -  Portavogie Harbour, Portavogie, Co. Down  (06 Oct 2021)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 13th June 2021, on Dalkey Island, Co. Dublin, Republic of Ireland)
(Photo Courtesy of Francis Young)
 
On the 9th October, I then received an email from Declan Clarke, who relayed a second sighting of -   R72:D .  Earlier that day, John Smyth was out tending to his lobster pots just off the coast at Ringland Point in County Down, when -   R72:D  landed on his boat.  It appears that the young gull is making it's way back south, as the distance from Dalkey Island, was now cut to 114 kms / 70 miles (NNE).
 
My thanks goes to Francis, Declan and John, concerning these two sightings, and to Graham Prole for supplying the details for this young gull.
 
********************************************************
 

No comments: