Sunday 7 November 2021

German Metal Confirmed...

Hah, I completed this post on Thursday, and meant to publish it on Friday afternoon, once I had read it over and checked for spelling mistakes via a word-processor.  Before I went to work on Thursday evening, I checked my phone for emails or messages, to find that my bank had sent me a text message.  They were going to freeze my account, as I had not replied to an earlier text.  That one was asking me if a certain transaction was mine, and to reply "Y or "N".  As it turned out, the transaction was on hold, and was for £83.68.  On checking my online account, I found another transaction for £27 was not mine either.  The bank instructed me to use the phone number on the back of my bank card as soon as possible.
 
On getting up on Friday morning, I phoned the bank and we got everything sorted.  I was to be reimbursed for the two amounts, with the two transactions being referred to their fraud department.  Due to all this, it completely slipped my mind, that I hadn't published this post.  It is only now that I've noticed, as I went to set up the page for my next post.
__________________________________________________________________________
 
      Antrim Marina - Monday 1st November 2021       
For some reason, today's visit to Antrim Marina was not great due to the lack of Black-headed Gulls present.  Around 60 to 70 birds were dotted about on my arrival, but at no time, did overall numbers reach the 100 mark.  The weather was reasonably mild, being a calm autumnal day, with just a light breeze.  With the return of   2CSK  and   2CTA  being recorded during last Monday's visit, I arrived here on the lookout for 42 colour-ringed Black-headed Gulls altogether, five of which, had been ringed over recent weeks.

With some schools have re-opened after the Halloween break, I arrived at around 9:20, with -   2CJT , being the first gull recorded at 9:21.  Just over an hour later,   2FFJ  was the 23rd ring read, after which time only 5 more rings were recorded before my departure at 12:15.  With 28 rings read in total, today saw 14 absentees.  As the morning wore on, I became extremely bored, as there were so few birds about.  I had been hoping for another returnee or two, without any luck today.
 
With so little happening, I made several attempts at catching gulls to be ringed, though on the whole they were not 'biting'.  A few were eager for the bread offerings being fed to the cygnets, but they stayed at arms length from me.  On my third try, I did catch an adult, which has now been ringed -   2FHN .  One thing that struck me about this bird, was that it felt very light, probably the lightest adult that I've ever handled.  It's size was not that great to start with, so it was probably a mall female.
 
Reflecting on the weekend as I headed home, it was not great for 'ring reading', as very few were recorded.  With the addition of -   2FHN , my target next week now rises to 43 birds.
 
Colour Ringed Black-headed Gulls Recorded at Antrim Marina on Monday 1st November 2021
 2CJT   2BRA   2FHA   2AAK   2CTC   2ABK   2FDK   2AAA   2CSJ   2ABS 
 2CSR   2FFA   2FFF   2CSA   2AAR   2FDV   2AAN   2CSL   2FHC   2FFP 
 2CSB   2ABA   2FFJ   2FDJ   2FDT   2ABN   2FHJ   2CTA     

Black-headed Gulls Recorded This Autumn/Winter but Absent Today
 2AAB   2ABL   2ACV   2BRD   2CSK   2CSX   2FFC 
 2FFL   2FFN   2FFX   2FHF   2FHH   2FHK   2FHL 

Other Birds at Antrim Marina
The Mute Swans continue to puzzle me.  On my arrival, four adults and three cygnets were present on the slipway.  After a short time, I realised that two cygnets were with both their parents, so were likely to be the family group recorded here since I began this winter's weekly visits.  The single cygnet, would 'hiss' at me, and I'm now sure that this bird is a recent arrival with no parents.  The remaining two adults were not connected to that cygnet at all.  In fact, one of the adults is the bird which sits beside my car each time I come here.  I'm now wondering, what has happened with the group consisting of 6 cygnets.  Most of the time, they would appear with their mother only, though there are times when a male would join them.

A very high number of Mallards were present when I arrived.  A rough count gave me a total of around 80 birds altogether, and a second count at 11am, gave me a similar total.  Most legs were checked, but no rings.

Two adult Common Gulls arrived around 10:30am, and the usual Herring Gull did not appear at all.  Normally, Common Gull numbers should be increasing by this time, but the maximum number seen at any one time is three.  I'm also surprised that the small Scottish-rung female, has not visited since first being recorded back in August.
 
4 Jackdaws, and a single Hooded Crow, were the only other species to be seen.  I heard a Kingfisher on two occasions, but wherever it was, I could not see it.
 
********************************************************
 
      Saturday 30th October 2021       
It was early afternoon before I departed from home today.  I decided that I would head off to Belfast again first, and then move on to County Down.  As things panned out, I remained in Belfast, and then called into Antrim on my way home.

First stop, was at the Connswater mudflats, as I knew the tide would be on it's way in.  On these mudflats last winter, I recorded several colour-ringed Black-headed Gulls and Oystercatchers.  I have already made several visits here so far this winter, and not a single one of those birds had been re-sighted, barring that of a Northern Ireland rung Black-headed Gull -   2AJV .  Today, I drew another blank, with very few gulls or waders about.

Next I went to Kinnegar Beach, on the southern side of Belfast Lough.  In the past, I have recorded several Icelandic rung Oystercatchers, with some of those birds having been re-sighted during successive winters.  For some reason, none of these birds have been recorded back so far, despite several visits here.

There were fairly decent numbers of both gulls and waders, and as the tide was coming in, everything was slowly being pushed towards me.  Scoping for the best part of an hour and a half, I was dismayed that no colour-rings were to be found.  I did notice four metal rings, 2 on Common Gulls, 1 Oystercatcher and 1 Black-headed Gull.  A few Brent Geese were also on the beach, but none of those were ringed either, though I don't bother with them these days, as I've yet to receive feedback on the last birds that I reported.

With nothing spotted on the beach, I took a look on the tidal pond nearby, but still nothing.  I made my way back to my car, and decided to scope the beach for a final time before departing.  Then, in the distance, I spotted a colour-ringed Oystercatcher.  Cutting down the distance first, I then zoomed out with my camera, and captured the ring details - Black over Green on the left leg, and White(XE) on the right leg - NG-W(XE), which I reckoned was a new bird to me.
 
On returning home, I ran the code through my spreadsheet, to find that there were no matches.  The bird was definitely from Iceland, so I sent an email to Boddi on Saturday evening.  Although not ringed, an adult Mediterranean Gull and an adult Little Gull were nice sightings.
 
The reply from Boddi, arrived with me on Tuesday morning.  GN-W(XE), had been ringed as an un-sexed breeding adult, on the 18th May 2021, at Auðsholtshjáleiga in Southern Iceland.  On the 28th May, the pair were still incubating, and the first of three eggs hatched on the 31st May.  The final sighting was made on the 29th June 2021, with the bird still on its breeding grounds.  My sighting today, was the first outside of Iceland.  The distance to Kinnegar Beach, is 1,345 kms / 836 miles (SE), and the duration since being ringed, was 5 months and 12 days.
 
A number of Icelandic Oystercatchers which I have recorded here over the past few years, are still absent.  I find it strange, as at least one or two should still be alive.  Could milder weather conditions in the home countries of some birds, possibly be playing a role in their absence?
 
Oystercatcher  -  NG-W(XE)  -  Kinnegar Beach, Belfast Lough, Co. Down  (30 Oct 2021)
(Ringed as an Un-Sexed Breeding Adult, on the 18th May 2021, at Auðsholtshjáleiga, S. Iceland)
 
With the tide now well on it's way in, I scoped through all the birds for a final time.  No further rings were spotted, so I headed off to Whitehouse Lagoon.  Passing by the lagoon whilst driving on the motorway, there was hardly a bird to be seen, and then I spotted two people on the mudflats who appeared to be digging for bait.  I now wondered where I would go to next, and as I reached the roundabout, I drove round and headed back in the direction I had just come from, and headed towards the Dargan mudflats.  Far too late here, as the incoming tide had swallowed everything up.

At this point, I pondered about going to the former Belfast Waterworks, but decided against returning into the city.  With not too much of the afternoon remaining before dark, I thought Antrim would be my best bet.  On reaching Antrim, I went to the Baptist Church first, to see if any gulls were about.  Here, I wanted to have another attempt at re-sighting a colour-ringed Black-headed Gull from Poland.  Late last Saturday afternoon, I called by here, but just a solitary Black-headed Gull was present, standing on a lamppost.  I then stopped by the church again on Monday past, after completing my weekly visit to Antrim Marina.  Around 50 to 60 gulls were present, but still no sign of the Polish gull.

Today, my luck was in.  Standing on it's own, a short way off to the left of around 40 Black-headed Gulls, was (White) TY43, the very bird that I was after.  Usually, (White) TY43, arrives back in early August, but due to a lack of visits, meant I had overlooked the bird until now.  Anyhow, I was well pleased to re-sight another returnee.

(White) TY43, was ringed as an un-sexed 2nd calendar year bird, on the 9th February 2012, at Olsztyn, in Poland.  It was first spotted in Northern Ireland, by Adam McClure, on the 29th October 2013, which also happened to be the first ever re-sighting since being ringed.  Adam spotted the gull at Antrim Marina, whilst searching for his own project birds.

(White) TY43, was recorded back in Poland in March 2015, and again in March 2017, but was not seen again in Northern Ireland, until I discovered it here at the Baptist Church, on the 16th October 2017.  I have since established, that the church is this bird's preferred wintering site, as I have recorded it here every year since.  Last winter, I only recorded the gull on two occasions - 16th August 2020, and 6th September 2020.  In normal circumstances, I would have recorded it again before it's departure, but the second 'Covid Lockdown' put paid to that.

Having re-sighted it today, I submitted my sighting onto the Polish Ringing Database, and I noticed that the (White) TY43 had not been reported in Poland over the past summer months.  The duration since being ringed, is now 9 years, 8 months and 21 days, and the distance from Olsztyn, is 1,725 kms / 1,071 miles (W).
 
Black-headed Gull  -  (White)  TY43  -  Antrim Baptist Church, Antrim Marina, Co. Antrim  (30 Oct 2021)
(Ringed as an Un-Sexed 2nd Calendar Year Bird, on the 9th February 2012, at Olsztyn, Poland)
 
Next stop was at Antrim's KFC outlet.  Last Saturday afternoon, I spotted two ringed Black-headed Gulls here.  The first, was easily sorted out, as it was the third re-sighting of a colour-ringed bird from County Longford - (White) 2122, having previously been spotted on two occasions at Antrim Marina - 24th February 2020, and on the 25th October 2020.
 
The second gull had a metal ring, for which I only managed a partial number '  IA20**** '.  Having checked my spreadsheet at home, this bird was likely to have been -   IA200180 , a German rung bird which I recorded on two occasions last winter - 5th October 2020 at Antrim Marina, and on the 25th October 2020 in the Castle Way car park in Antrim's town centre.  I stated in my previous post, I needed to track this bird down, and complete it's number just to be sure.  After leaving Antrim Marina last Monday, I called into the KFC car park, but the gull was not there.
 
Today it was here.  The bird is vary wary, and as I tried to drive to a distance from where I could take photos of the metal, it kept flying off, just as it did last Saturday.  The difference today, was that I had more time to work on this bird.  I was gradually getting frustrated with this gull, as if it knew what I was wanting to do.  Around and around we went.  Each time it landed again, I slowly crept to within distance.  It was like a game of cat and mouse, but I eventually had enough photos, where I was certain that the whole number was captured.  I checked my photos before leaving, and the whole number was complete.
 
  IA200180 , had been ringed as an adult female, on the 22nd May 2020, at Inseln Böhmke Und Werder, Germany.  The duration since being ringed, is now 1 year, 5 months and 8 days, and the distance from the ringing site, is 1,314 kms / 816 miles (W).  The effort was well worthwhile, as another returnee has now been confirmed.  
 
Black-headed Gull  -    IA200180   -  Antrim KFC Car Park, Antrim Town, Co. Antrim  (30 Oct 2021)
(Ringed as an Adult Female, on the 22nd May 2020, at Inseln Böhmke Und Werder, Germany)
 
********************************************************
 
      Sunday 31st October 2021       
Today, I drove to Antrim Town first, before back tracking to my make my way to the east coast of County Antrim.  I would then follow the coast southwards, where I finished off the afternoon at Whitehead.

By going to Antrim first, being Sunday, I knew that the car park at the town's Castle Way, would be virtually empty.  Here I was looking for Black-headed Gull -   2AFD , which by now, should have returned from Latvia.    2AFD , is one of my Antrim Marina study birds, which was ringed by Adam McClure at Antrim Marina in February 2014.  In recent years,   2AFD  rarely visits the Marina, and can now be found at Castle Way. 
 
Arriving at the car park, there appeared to be quite a few gulls on the rooftop overlooking the car park.  There was no way of knowing just how many were there altogether, as there is no clear view onto the rooftops.  Parking in a large clear area, I began throwing out bits of bread, and soon had around 50 birds landing beside me.  Half a loaf later, there was no sign of -   2AFD , with a good number of gulls remaining on the rooftop, and had no interest in flying down.  I'll have to try again in another week or two.
 
I then drove the short distance to the Elim Church at Antrim's Parkhall Estate.  Here, I was looking for another Black-headed Gull which was ringed at Antrim Marina -   2AAV .  This gull was one of the earliest birds to have been ringed by Adam at the Marina, in December 2012.  When not recorded at the Marina, it then is often to be found at the Elim Church.  So far this winter,   2AAV  has not been recorded, and I drew another blank here, as not a single gull was present.  It's early days, but I have a feeling that -   2AAV , may not be with us any more, due to it's non-appearance so far.
 
I drove back through Ballymena, and headed to Cushendall.  From the harbour at Cushendall, working my way southwards to Whitehead, plenty of gulls and Oystercatchers were checked for rings.  Not a single ring, either colour or metal was spotted, leaving me empty handed after the long drive.  Sites such as Sandy Bay in Larne, and the Glynn mudflats just south of Larne, usually throws up a ring or two, but today, was not going to be my day.
 
*******************************************************
 
      From Suzanne Belshaw       
Suzanne Belshaw has been in touch again, with four more re-sightings.  In date order, Black-headed Gull -   2ACP , was spotted on the 24th October 2021, near Suzanne's home in Lisburn, Co. Antrim.    2ACP , was ringed by Adam, as an un-sexed adult, on the 9th February 2013, at Sprucefield Shopping Centre, which is situated 2 kms / 1 mile south from Suzanne's latest sighting.  Suzanne's previous sighting in August 2021, was actually made at the Shopping Centre.

This sighting, is now the 30th re-sighting record for -   2ACP  , with all sightings have been made at either Sprucefield or nearby Lisburn.  There has been no sightings recorded during the months of March through to June, which is the breeding season.  As a winter visitor to the area, the earliest return date recorded, was on the 17th July 2018, and the latest sighting before departure, was made on the 29th February 2016.   2ACP  , has been recorded at least once every year since being ringed, and the duration, is now 8 years, 8 months and 15 days.
 
Black-headed Gull  -    2ACP   -  Lisburn, Co. Antrim  (24 Oct 2021)
(Ringed as an Un-Sexed Adult, on the 9th February 2013, at Sprucefield Shopping Centre, Lisburn, Co. Antrim)
(Photo Courtesy of Suzanne Belshaw)
 
I am a big fan on metal-rings being read, and on the 29th October 2021, Suzanne recorded the return of Black-headed Gull -   EZ02451 , at Lurgan Park Lake in County Armagh.  The gull had been ringed as a chick, on the 20th June 2017, at the Elvanfoot colony in South Lanarkshire, Scotland.  All but one of the 11 re-sightings of -   EZ02451 , have been recorded by Suzanne at Lurgan Park.  The bird was first recorded by Suzanne as a juvenile, on the 7th September 2017, just 2 months and 18 days after being ringed.

There is a colour-ringing scheme being run at the Elvanfoot colony, and in conversation with Iain Livingstone,   EZ02451  was either too small to take a colour-ring, or was ringed after the 120 colour-rings used on the 20th June 2017, were exhausted.  There had been far more chicks present, than the ringers had expected.
 
  EZ02451 , has been recorded at least once at Lurgan Park, every year since being ringed and the duration, is now 4 years, 4 months and 9 days.  The distance from Elvanfoot to Lurgan Park, is 202 kms / 125 miles (WSW).  On the BTO's DemOn Ringing Database, I noted that a sighting was reported on the 13th October 2017, but DemOn does not show locations.  Although -   EZ02451 , had been recorded at Lurgan Park, just prior to that date, and again soon afterwards, I think it would be safe to assume, that record was also made at the park.
 
Black-headed Gull  -    EZ02451   -  Lurgan Park Lake, Lurgan, Co. Armagh  (29 Oct 2021)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 20th June 2017, at Elvanfoot, South Lanarkshire, Scotland)
(Photo Courtesy of Suzanne Belshaw)
 
On the 2nd November 2021, Suzanne visited the Dargan mudflats on Belfast Lough, where she recorded two ringed birds.  The sighting of Great Black-backed Gull - (White) 1L8:C, is now the sixth record of this bird in Northern Ireland.  (White) 1L8:C, was ringed as a chick, on the 26th June 2017, on the Horse Isle Nature Reserve, just off the coast from Ardrossan in Ayrshire, Scotland.  The first re-sighting occurred on Christmas Day in 2018, when I spotted (White) 1L8:C, rummaging through the rubbish at the Belfast Waste Transfer Station, situated on the Dargan Industrial Estate, the duration at that time, being 1 year, 5 months and 29 days.

The other four previous re-sightings are :-
12th October 2019, at Whitehouse Lagoon, Belfast Lough
27th October 2019, at Whiteabbey Beach, Belfast Lough
5th August 2020, at Whiteabbey Beach - Suzanne Belshaw
21st December 2020, at RSPB Window on Wildlife Reserve, Belfast Harbour Estate - Suzanne Belshaw
 
The distance from Horse Isle to Dargan, is 130 kms / 80 miles (SSW), and the duration since being ringed, is now 4 years, 4 months and 7 days.  I was copied into the email which Suzanne sent to Iain Livingstone, who is the ringing co-ordinator for the Clyde Ringing Group.  There has been no reply so far, but I think it is safe to assume, that (White) 1L8:C, has not been spotted anywhere else since last December.
 
Great Black-backed Gull  -  (White)  1L8:C  -  Dargan Mudflats, Belfast Lough, Belfast  (02 Nov 2021)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 26th June 2017, on Horse Isle Nature Reserve, Ayrshire, Scotland)
(Photo Courtesy of Suzanne Belshaw)
 
The second bird spotted on the Dargan mudflats, was Black-tailed Godwit - Lime over Blue, Orange (=), LB-O(=).  O(=), is a solid ring with two black bars.  The bird was one of a catch of 24 Black-tailed Godwits, ringed on the 21st April 2021, at the RSPB's Window on Wildlife Reserve, on Belfast's Harbour Industrial Estate.  LB-O(=), was ringed as a female, and I recorded this bird on these mudflats on the 5th September 2021.  The Dargan mudflats, are just a short distance away from the RSPB Reserve, and the duration since being ringed, is now 6 months and 12 days.
 
My thanks again to Suzanne for sharing her ring sightings, along with the photos.
 
Black-tailed Godwit  -  LB-O(=)  -  Dargan Mudflats, Belfast Lough, Belfast  (02 Nov 2021)
(Ringed as an Adult Female, on the 21st April 2021, RSPB Window on Wildlife Reserve, Belfast)
(Photo Courtesy of Suzanne Belshaw)
 
 ********************************************************
 

No comments: