Saturday 11 March 2023

Gulls on the Move...

      Antrim Marina - Monday 6th March 2023       
Today I once again opted for a later start to my weekly visit to Antrim Marina.  Arriving at 10:50, it was dry, and although quite cloudy, the sun shone through for most of the time.  There was a light chilly wind, though the temperature gauge in my car, was reading 8°C.

On parking my car beside the slipway, a good number of Black-headed Gulls were already present.  Numbers were around 60 to 80 gulls throughout the visit, but by judging the colour-ringed birds, they were clearly coming and going.  With 49 colour-ringed birds already recorded this winter, which included 9 birds which were caught and ringed before Christmas, just 15 of these rings were read today, plus a returnee which does not belong to my study here.

The returnee, was Black-headed Gull -  2K48 .  It was ringed as an unsexed adult, on the 25th January 2022, at Marine Lake in Southport, Merseyside, England.  The first re-sighting, was made by myself on the 14th March 2022, when it appeared here at Antrim Marina.  During the summer months, I only carry out a few random visits to the Marina, but I did spot -  2K48  for a second time on the 18th June 2022, which was my last sighting until today.

Back at home, when I went to submit the sighting onto the BTO's DemOn Ringing Database, I noticed that the gull had also been submitted on the 10th November 2022, and on the 10th December 2022.  Although DemOn does not show locations, I'd be fairly sure that both were made back in Southport.  I will ask the BTO if they would forward the details of those sightings to me.

It seems certain, that -  2K48  is a winter visitor to Southport, and will be here as a breeding bird this summer, likely nesting on the nearby former 'Torpedo Platform'.  A few more sightings here over the coming months will now be needed to confirm this.

This is clear evidence, that Black-headed Gulls are now beginning to move towards their respective nesting sites.  Indeed, one of my absentees today -  2FIH , was spotted by myself on the Glynn foreshore on Larne Lough on Saturday 4th March 2023.  Glynn, is 31 kms / 19 miles (ENE) from Antrim Marina, and very close to Glynn, is the RSPB's Blue Circle Island, which holds a large colony of nesting Black-headed Gulls and other nesting seabirds.  Even my visit to the RSPB's Window on Wildlife Reserve in Belfast on Sunday 5th March, saw several pairs of Black-headed Gulls on the nest platforms, claiming a piece of real-estate.  With so many absentees during today's visit to Antrim Marina, it would not surprise me if some of them have now gone as well.

Black-headed Gull  -   2K48   -  Antrim Marina, Antrim Town, Co. Antrim  (06 Mar 2023)
(Ringed as an Un-Sexed Adult, on the 25th January 2022, at the Marine Lake, Southport, Merseyside, England)

Colour Ringed Black-headed Gulls Recorded at Antrim Marina on Monday 6th March 2023
 2FDK   2CSR   2AAB   2AAA   2FJA   2ACV   2FIF   2FJC 
 2FIL   2ABL   2CSK   2FDJ   2BRA   2FIA   2FIN   

Colour Ringed Black-headed Gulls Recorded at Antrim Marina This Autumn/Winter, but Absent Today
 2AAK   2AAN   2ABA   2ABN   2ABS   2CJT   2CSA   2CSB   2CSL 
 2CSX   2CTC   2FDL   2FDT   2FDX   2FFA   2FFC   2FFF   2FFL 
 2FFP   2FFT   2FFX   2FHA   2FHC   2FHJ   2FHP   2FHV   2FHX 
 2FIH   2FIJ   2FIK   2FIP   2FIT   2FIV   2FIX     

Other Birds at Antrim Marina
The Mute Swans easily grabbed my attention today, as yet again, large numbers were already present.  An early count gave 22 birds, whilst a later count revealed 25, so three had slipped in unnoticed.  No cygnets were seen today, and on checking most legs for rings, not one was seen.

Mallard numbers were low throughout my visit, ranging from 20 to 30 birds altogether, and still no rings on any of them.

The adult pair of Herring Gulls were also present throughout my visit.  The first adult Common Gull appeared at 11:28, with another two adults arriving at 12:30.  In-between these, was a juvenile which appeared at 12:14.  Again, no sign of the Scottish metal-rung female, which has only been recorded on the one occasion this winter.  A pair of Lesser Black-backed Gulls arrived at 11:50, but they would come and go during the remainder of my visit. 

The only other species recorded today, were 4 Jackdaws and a male Pied Wagtail.

*******************************************************

      Saturday 4th March 2023       
Today I decided to cover the east County Antrim coast starting at Glynn on Larne Lough, moving northwards to Cushendall.  With high tide forecasted for 9:15am, I timed my visit to reach Glynn at 11:00am, to watch the gulls as the tide went out.

Scoping the gulls from the platform of Glynn station, it did not take long to spot my first ring, an Orange Darvic on a Black-headed Gull.  I had to follow the gull for ages, as it was moving around in the water and sometimes the ring could not be seen at all.  Eventually, after a good bath, the bird came ashore to preen itself, and then I was able to capture the code -  2CHP .

The code rang no bells in my head, but on consulting my spreadsheet back at home, it had been recorded on two previous occasions by myself.   2CHP , was ringed as a chick, on the nearby RSPB Blue Circle Island Nature Reserve, on the 25th June 2016, and belonged to Adam's former Northern Ireland BHG Study.  My first sighting of the gull, was made on the 7th March 2020, on the foreshore here at Glynn.  At that time, the bird was of breeding age, so may well have nested on Blue Circle Island that summer.

My second sighting, I now remember, surprised me, as I came across the gull on a rooftop at Sainsbury's Retail Park in my home town of Ballymena, on the 25th July 2021.  This latest sighting, takes the duration since being ringed, to 6 years, 8 months and 7 days.  I really like these rare sightings of Adam's former project birds, just to prove that they are still alive and well.  It seems likely, that it is about the nest on Blue Circle Island this summer.

Black-headed Gull  -   2CHP   -  Glynn, Larne Lough, Co. Antrim  (04 Mar 2013)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 25th June 2016, on the RSPB's Blue Circle Island NR, Larne Lough, Co. Antrim)

Continuing to scope through the gulls and waders, a very distant Black-headed Gull was spotted, with what seemed to be a Black Darvic and I thought great - a new sighting.  Zooming in with my camera, the ring turned out to be Blue, and was actually one of my Antrim Marina Study birds -  2FIH .

 2FIH , was caught and ringed at Antrim Marina, as an unsexed adult, on the 29th November 2021.  The gull remained at the Marina throughout the 2021/2022 winter, with the final sighting having been made on the 24th February 2022.

I study a wintering population of Black-headed Gulls, beginning on the first weekend in August, and finishing on the last weekend in March.  This winter, my first weekly visit was made on the 2nd August 2023, and -  2FIH  had already returned to the Marina, and prior to this latest sighting at Glynn, was last recorded at the Marina on the 20th February 2023.

As this is the first sighting away from Antrim Marina, the question now, is where will it breed.  Will it stay here and breed on the nearby Blue Circle Island, or will it move on to somewhere further afield?  Glynn, is situated 31 kms / 19 miles (ENE), and the duration since being ringed, is now 1 year, 3 months and 4 days.

Black-headed Gull  -   2FIH   -  Glynn, Larne Lough, Co. Antrim  (04 Mar 2023)
(Ringed as an Un-Sexed Adult, on the 29th November 2021, at Antrim Marina, Antrim Town, Co. Antrim)

Moving slowly northwards, a few sites were checked without any success, until I reached Closeburn Bay, better known as the site of The Halfway House Hotel.  The car park here overlooks a lengthy sandy beach, where I have never recorded a ring until today.  Oystercatchers are often the most numerous species to be seen here, though occasionally, large gatherings of gulls - usually Black-headed Gulls would appear here.

As I was nearing the car park, I glanced over to the beach, and it was cram packed with gulls.  On parking, I began to scope the gulls and could not believe just how many Common Gulls were present.  At least 250 to 300 Commons, along with smaller numbers of Black-headed and Herring Gulls were nicely spread out across the beach.  Brilliant, surely there had to be a ring or two, and after a while, one was spotted on a Common Gull, with my heart hoping that it would be a Norwegian bird.

The gull was extremely far away, but there was no chance to cut down the distance, as if I disturbed the closer birds, I knew everything would lift into the air.  From the edge of the car park, I zoomed in with my camera and initial photos were completely useless.  The gull was very obliging, as it began walking in my direction and eventually the code was captured -  2BCV .

No, not a Norwegian bird, but -  2BCV , was one of my Rathlin Island Study birds, which I knew that I had recorded for the first time a few weeks back at Carnlough.   2BCV , was ringed as a chick, on the 19th June 2018, at the Arkill Bay colony on Rathlin Island.  The first re-sighting was made on the 14th February 2023, at Carnlough Bay, 36 kms / 22 miles (SSE) from Rathlin, whilst today's sighting sees the gull moving slightly further south, as Closeburn Bay, is situated 48 kms / 29 miles (SSE).  The duration since being ringed, has risen to 4 years, 8 months and 13 days.  It will be interesting to see if - 2BCV will return to Rathlin Island to breed this summer.  

Common Gull  -   2BCV   -  Closeburn Bay (Halfway House Hotel), Co. Antrim  (04 Mar 2023)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 19th June 2018, at Arkill Bay, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim)

I scoped through the Common Gulls for a very long time, in hope of a second ring.  Moving on, just one other ringed bird was spotted between Closeburn Bay and Cushendall, and that was my second sighting this winter of an Icelandic rung Oystercatcher at Carnlough Bay.

Ringed Orange over Orange on the left leg, and White (AA) on the right leg - OO-W(AA), was ringed as an unsexed breeding adult in 2016.  I first recorded the bird in August 2016 at Carnlough Bay, and it has returned to the Bay every winter since then.  The duration since being ringed, is now 6 years, 9 months and 22 days.  The distance from Brautarholt where it was ringed, is 1,356 kms / 842 miles (SE).  There's no doubting, that - OO-W(AA), has been wintering at Carnlough for years before it was caught and ringed.  Over the years since being ringed, it has also been recorded nesting back in Iceland.  My thanks to Boddi in Iceland, for sending an updated PDF File for the bird showing it ringing and re-sighting history (read here).

Oystercatcher  -  OO-W(AA)  -  Carnlough Beach, Carnlough, Co. Antrim  (04 Mar 2023)
(Ringed as an Unsexed Breeding Adult, on the 10th May 2016, at Brautarholt, SW Iceland)

*******************************************************

      Sunday 5th March 2023       
Today, I departed from home with the aim of getting to the Kinnegar shore, as the tide began to recede.  With high tide being given as 10:16, arriving around midday would be ideal.  On my way, I had time to call into the Castle Way car park in Antrim Town, to see if any ringed Black-headed Gulls were present, especially the Latvian -  2AFD , which was originally ringed at nearby Antrim Marina in February 2014.  Up until now, the only sighting of -  2AFD , was made at this car park on Christmas Day.  Today, I managed to lure around 30 Black-headed Gulls onto the car park, but not one ring was spotted.  A German metal-rung Black-headed Gull, which has been here over the past two winters, has not been seen this winter.

Now, on towards Belfast and my timing was perfect.  Parking, overlooking the shoreline, the first gulls and waders were beginning to arrive.  On my way in, I had a glance at the high tide roost on the pond just over the road from the shore, and it was jammed packed with waders and gulls.

Scoping the birds arriving onto the shoreline, a small group of Common Gulls included a Darvic.  On zooming in to take a photo, the code read -  2BXJ , which I knew was one of my birds ringed as a chick on Rathlin Island.  On returning home, I looked up the code on my spreadsheet.

 2BXJ , was ringed as a chick, on the 29th June 2021, at the Arkill Bay colony, on Rathlin Island.  I later spotted the youngster on the 11th July 2021, and at that time, it had fledged, but remained on the outskirts of the colony.  On the 10th October 2021, the then juvenile, turned up here on Kinnegar Beach, when spotted by Ronnie Doggart.  This was the last sighting until now.  Kinnegar Beach lies 75 kms / 46 miles (SSE) from Rathlin Island, and the duration since being ringed, is now 1 year, 8 months and 5 days.

This bird, is of an age where it might return to Rathlin Island this summer to prospect a possible nesting site, as it will be of breeding age next year.  Seeing at this post had not been published, another re-sighting of this gull was reported to me by Ric Else (read below).

Common Gull  -   2BXJ   -  Kinnegar Beach, Belfast Lough, Co. Down  (05 Mar 2023)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 29th June 2021, at Arkill Bay, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim)

I spent a long time on Kinnegar Beach scoping through a mass of gulls and waders, especially a nice flock of around 100 Knot.  Great to have a lot of peace, to scope the birds - normally, someone, especially dog owners would appear and venture onto the shore.

Only one other ringed bird was seen, and this was the fourth sighting this winter, of the Norwegian-rung Bar-tailed Godwit - R-Yf(PVE).  I also recorded this bird last Sunday, roosting on Kinnegar Pond (read my previous post).  

Bar-tailed Godwit  -  R-Y(PVE)  -  Kinnegar Beach, Belfast Lough, Co. Down  (05 Mar 2023)
(Ringed as an Un-Sexed Juvenile, on the 21st August 2022, at Revtangen, Klepp, Norway)

Last Sunday, I stopped by the RSPB Window on Wildlife Reserve, to see what was happening on the two gull breeding platforms, to find all was fairly quite.  Today, on leaving Kinnegar Beach, I called into the WoW Reserve again, and what a difference in a week.  Quite a few Black-headed Gulls were on the platforms, and some pairs could be seen claiming nest spots.  I spent the best part of an hour observing the birds coming and going, but no rings.

Moving on to Whitehouse Lagoon, last Sunday, I recorded three of Adam's former study Black-headed Gulls with the Orange Darvic's, and managed to read the codes on two of them.  Despite, the tide being well out on the Lagoon today, no colour-ringed Black-headed Gulls were present, but I re-sighted a colour-ringed Oystercatcher, and what turned out to be a special colour-ringed Common Gull.

This was my second sighting this winter, of an Icelandic Oystercatcher - GW-GfN.  This bird, was ringed as an unsexed breeding adult, on the 5th June 2015, at Mjóanef in southern Iceland.  The first re-sighting was made by me, on the 6th September 2015, when the bird arrived here at Whitehouse Lagoon for the winter, and has returned every winter since.  This winter, I recorded it's return, on the 8th October 2022, the only sighting record until now.  

In most summers, GW-GfN, has been re-sighted whilst breeding back in Iceland.  The bird is only showing two colour-rings now, having lost the Green Flag on the right leg, whereas, the Green Ring on the left leg, slipped inside of the White Ring.  The duration since being ringed, is now 7 years and 9 months, and the distance to Whitehouse Lagoon, is 1,294 kms / 804 miles (SE).  Having reported the sighting to Boddi in Iceland, in his reply, he stated that the first of their Oystercatchers, have begun to arrive back.  My thanks to Boddi for the updated PDF File which can be read (here).

Oystercatcher  -  GW-GfN  -  Whitehouse Lagoon, Belfast Lough, Co. Antrim  (05 Mar 2023)
(Ringed as an Un-Sexed Breeding Adult, on the 5th June 2015, at Mjóanef, South Iceland)

On scoping the most distant gulls, I noticed a Common Gull with the tell tale sign of a bulge on it's leg, and thought this dark coloured Darvic, could well be another of my Rathlin Island Common Gulls.  Anyone that owns a Nikon P1000 bridge camera, can appreciate the great distances that this model can zoom out to, with a magnification of - 125x.  On this occasion, with full zoom, I could not capture the code on the ring, which was Green, telling me that this may well have been a Norwegian bird.

I had to settle with a few photos, with a good bit less of a zoom.  Bright sunshine ahead of the gull did not help either, as several pictures showed nothing on the ring.  Luckily, two photos revealed some sketchy details, which appeared to read -  JA19 .  Starting with the letter 'J', I knew this was a Norwegian bird, and I then wondered if this was the same gull which I have recorded here on two previous occasion.

Back home, I checked my main Ring Reading Spreadsheet, and the ring number matched.   JA19 , was ringed as an adult, on the 30th June 2014, on Lake Lillevatnet in the Ålesund area, on the west coast of Norway.  The gull was re-sighted on three occasions during the following month, and has not been seen in Norway since.

My first sighting of -  JA19 , here at Whitehouse Lagoon, was made on the 12th February 2017, followed by a second sighting on the 5th January 2020.  This latest sighting, takes the duration since being ringed, to 8 years, 8 months and 5 days, whilst the distance from Ålesund, is 1,120 kms / 695 miles (SW).  I was really delighted, having recorded this bird for a third time, hopefully, there will be further sightings.

Common Gull  -   JA19   -  Whitehouse Lagoon, Belfast Lough, Co. Antrim  (05 Mar 2023)
(Ringed as an Un-Sexed Adult, on the 30th June 2014, on Lake Lillevatnet, Ålesund, Norway)

After scoping through a good gathering of big gulls, no other rings were spotted, so I drove round to the Dargan mudflats nearby.  Again, fairly good numbers of gulls and waders were busy feeding, with just the one colour-ringed bird spotted.

This was a Black-tailed Godwit, rung Lime over Blue on the left leg, with an Orange ring on the right leg showing two black bars - LB-O(=).  LB-O(=), was ringed as an adult female, on the 21st April 2021, at the RSPB's Window on Wildlife Reserve, which is fairly close to Dargan.

I have recorded this bird on two previous occasions on the mudflats at Dargan - 5th September 2021, and on the 27th August 2022, whilst it has been recorded back at the WoW Reserve, on four occasions in March and April 2022.  The duration since being ringed, is now 1 year, 10 months and 12 days.

Black-tailed Godwit  -  LB-O(=)  -  Dargan Mudflats, Belfast Lough, Belfast  (05 Mar 2023)
(Ringed as an Adult Female, on the 21st April 2021, at RSPB Window on Wildlife Nature Reserve, Belfast)

Earlier, having left the RSPB's WoW Nature Reserve, I stopped by the Connswater mudflats, but here the tide was still quite high, so I returned on leaving Dargan.  The Connswater mudflats, have produced a good number of ring sighting in the past, but today, I drew a blank.

It was now getting quite late into the afternoon, so I decided to head back home to Ballymena, calling into Antrim town again on my way back.  Stopping first at the town's Baptist Church for the third time of late, not a single gull was present.  Usually, Black-headed Gulls can be found here in good numbers, including the Polish-rung (White) TY43, which has only been recorded here once this winter.  A Scottish metal-rung Black-headed Gull, has not been seen at all this winter.

The car park at the KFC outlet was my last stop of the afternoon, where on my previous visit, I was unable to photograph a metal-rung Black-headed Gull, as it kept getting chased off by another BHG.  I reckoned it was the same bird that I first spotted here, back on the 14th August 2022, and having recorded it on two occasions since.  This time, I had no problems photographing both the bird and ring, and it was the same gull.

 EA65722 , was ringed as a chick, on the 26th June 2021, at Marlingford Hall in Norfolk, England.  The distance to Antrim Town, is 536 kms / 333 miles (WNW), and the duration since being ringed, is now 1 year, 8 months and 7 days. 

Black-headed Gull  -   EA65722   -  Antrim KFC Car Park, Antrim Town, Co. Antrim  (05 Mar 2023)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 26th June 2021, at Marlingford Hall, Norfolk, England)

*******************************************************

      From David Stirling       
Mark Fitzpatrick who is the ringing co-ordinator for the Isle of Man Gulls, has now sent us the details for two gulls spotted by David Stirling at Ardglass Harbour in County Down, on the 22nd February 2023 - both of which were first re-sightings, and were ringed on the Calf of Man, with the distance to Ardglass Harbour, being 57 kms / 35 miles (WNW).

Great Black-backed Gull -  J10:M , was ringed as a chick, on the 26th June 2021, which takes its duration since being ringed, to 1 year, 7 months and 27 days.

Great Black-backed Gull  -   J10:M   -  Ardglass Harbour, Ardglass, Co. Down  (22 Feb 2023)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 26th June 2021, on the Calf of Man, Isle of Man)
(Photo Courtesy of David Stirling)

Herring Gull  -   J68:M , was ringed as a chick, on the 27th June 2021, which takes its duration since being ringed, to 1year, 7 months and 26 days since being ringed.

Herring Gull  -   J68:M   -  Ardglass Harbour, Ardglass, Co. Down  (22 Feb 2023)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 27th June 2021, on the Calf of Man, Isle of Man)
(Photo Courtesy of David Stirling)

Since the two sightings made at Ardglass Harbour on the 22nd February, David came across another Herring Gull at the harbour on the 4th March 2023.  Whilst dealing with the two earlier gull sightings, Mark also sent the details for David's latest sighting.

 G55:M , was ringed on the Calf of Man, as a chick, on the 4th July 2022, and this one was yet another first re-sighting.  The duration since being ringed, is just 8 months to the day.

My thanks goes to David for the three gull sightings, along with the photos, and to Mark Fitzpatrick for supplying the ringing info.

Herring Gull  -   G55:M   -  Ardglass Harbour, Ardglass, Co. Down  (04 Mar 2023)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 4th July 2022, on the Calf of Man, Isle of Man)
(Photo Courtesy of David Stirling)

*******************************************************

      From Cameron Moore       
Cameron Moore has been in touch, with his latest re-sighting of a Danish-rung Black-headed Gull and a colour-ringed Redshank which was a new sighting.

The Black-headed Gull - (White) 5HA, returned to Whitehead in County Antrim, when spotted by Cameron on the 2nd December 2022.  (White) 5HA, was ringed as an adult male, on the 28th March 2015, at Gentofte Sø, Gentofte in Denmark, and was first recorded wintering at Whitehead, on the 26th November 2016, as has been recorded here every winter since.  The photo below was taken on the 26th February 2023, which was Cameron's second sighting this winter.  Unknown to us at the time, (White) 5HA, was also spotted by a Aaron Long on the 2nd January 2023.

Cameron's latest sighting was made on the 6th March 2023, and the gull was also spotted by Ian Enlander on the same date.  The duration since being ringed, is now 7 years, 11 months and 6 days, and the distance from Gentofte to Whitehead, is 1,160 kms / 720 miles (W).

(White) 5HA, has been recorded back in Denmark on just three occasions.  The ringer, Kjeld Tommy Pedersen sent a PDF File, containing the re-sighting history up until Aaron's sighting in January (PDF).

Black-headed Gull  -  (White)  5HA  -  Whitehead, Belfast Lough, Co. Antrim  (26 Feb 2023)
(Ringed as an Adult Male, on the 28th March 2015, at Gentofte Sø, Gentofte, Denmark)

Also on the 26th February 2023, Cameron spotted a colour-ringed Redshank, at Ballycarry Bridge on Larne Lough, Co. Antrim.  This is another problematic bird, as the ringer concerned does not respond to emails reporting sightings of his birds.  I still enter these Redshanks onto my main Ring Reading Spreadsheet, in the hope that someday, we will get some ringing info for these birds.

Cameron's Redshank, is ringed White (HEA) on the left leg, with a plain Yellow ring on the right leg - W(HEA)-Y.  It is a shame that the ringer does not respond, especially as he is well funded to undertake the colour-ringing of waders.  On my spreadsheet, I have two other Redshanks, two Oystercatchers and one Herring Gull, ringed by the same ringer, where we have no details.  W(HEA)-Y, was still present at Ballycarry Bridge on the 6th March 2023.

My thanks to Cameron for the sightings and photos.

Redshank  -  W(HEA)-Y  -  Ballycarry Bridge, Larne Lough, Co. Antrim  (26 Feb 2023)

*******************************************************

      From Linda Thompson       
The sighting of a colour-ringed Mute Swan made the rounds, until I was eventually alerted to the sighting made by Linda Thompson.  Linda spotted the swan,  colour-ringed -  NLA , on the Inver River in Larne, County Antrim, on the 5th March 2023.  This bird is on my Ring Reading Spreadsheet, though we cannot obtain any ringing details for the bird.

Cameron Moore reported seeing -  NLA , on the 27th October 2020, at Ballycarry Bridge on Larne Lough.  A second sighting was also reported by Cameron, on an unknown date, where the bird was seen just outside of Larne, on the Glynn foreshore on Larne Lough.

The ringer concerned, has now passed away.  I submitted Cameron's 2020 sighting to the BTO by the birds colour-marks only, but they had no details about it.  The swan may have been submitted by it's metal number only, so we need to read that number.  Cameron Moore and Ian Enlander (both good ring readers) have been notified as to where the swan is, and hopefully between us, someone will obtain that number.

I also have four other Mute Swans on my spreadsheet, with no ringing details -  NJN  NLJ  NLP  and  NLX , these also needing to be identified by their metal numbers.

Mute Swan  -   NLA   -  Inver River, Larne, Co. Antrim  (05 Mar 2023)

*******************************************************

      From Ric Else       
Ric Else, who is a resident on Rathlin Island, was in Belfast on the 8th March, and spotted one of my Rathlin Island Common Gulls at the RSPB's Window on Wildlife Nature Reserve.  The bird, rung - 2BXJ, was also recorded by me three days earlier on the nearby Kinnegar Beach (read above).

Ric and Hazel Watson, produce the Rathlin Island Bird Report, and Ric wonders if - 2BXJ will appear this summer on Rathlin.  The duration since being ringed on the 29th June 2021, is now 1 year, 8 months and 8 days.  Seeing as the gull has not reached maturity, it might return to Rathlin to prospect a nest site, as it will be of breeding age next year.

My thanks to Ric for the sighting and photo.

Common Gull  -   2BXJ   -  RSPB Window on Wildlife Nature Reserve, Belfast  (08 Mar 2023)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 29th June 2021, at Arkill Bay, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim)

*******************************************************

      From Stephen Foster       
Whilst at work on Friday evening, I received an email from Stephen Foster, with a sighting of a Copeland Island Common Gull -  2ACJ .
 
On the 7th March 2023, Stephen, along with Abbie Kilgore, were undertaking some survey work on the outer Ards Peninsular, where they spotted -  2ACJ  at Coal Pit Bay on the southern outskirts of Donaghadee in County Down.

This bird belongs to Shane Wolsey former Common Gull Project, where chicks were ringed on Big Copeland Island from 2009 until 2014.  On starting my own Common Gull project on Rathlin Island in 2017, I also took on the role as responder for Shane's former study.

 2ACJ , was ringed as an unsexed breeding adult, on the 14th May 2010, on Big Copeland Island.  The first (known) re-sighting, was made by myself, on the 22nd December 2016, when I spotted the gull on Kinnegar Beach situated on the County Down side of Belfast Lough.

This latest sighting, is the 13th overall since the gull was ringed, the duration now being a nice 12 years, 9 months and 21 days.  The full history for this bird can be read (here).  Coal Pit Bay, lies 4 kms / 2 miles (S) from Big Copeland Island.

My thanks goes to Stephen and Abbie for the sighting report and photo.  Good to know this gull is still going strong.

Common Gull  -   2ACJ   -  Coal Pit Bay, Donaghadee, Co. Down  (07 Mar 2023)
(Ringed as an Un-Sexed Breeding Adult, on the 14th May 2010, on Big Copeland Island, Co. Down)
(Photo Courtesy of Stephen Foster)

*******************************************************

No comments: