Saturday 30 December 2023

Antrim Marina - (Tuesday 26th December 2023)


      Antrim Marina - Tuesday 26th December 2023       
I was due to undertake my weekly visit to Antrim Marina on Christmas Eve (24th December), but the weather was very poor with gales and a lot of rain.  I therefore decided to postpone the visit until Boxing Day (26th December).  Christmas Day, was already earmarked for my annual visit to Belfast, especially, the Connswater Shopping Centre car park.  I had made this visit to the car park since Christmas Day 2015, to look for a colour-ringed Norwegian Black-headed Gull - (White) J4TJ.  The bird's first Northern Ireland sighting was made by Adam McClure at the car park in January 2014.  I decided to pursue the gull every Christmas Day, as, with the shops all closed, I would have the car park to myself.  I called this Norwegian gull, my 'Christmas Day Gull', and it was duly recorded every year until Christmas Day 2021.

Last year, my car broke down on my way to Belfast, so I never made it to Connswater.  Before going to Belfast this Christmas, I checked the 'Live' Norwegian Ringing Database, to find that it had not been recorded since I last saw it in 2021.  I spent a lengthy time in the Connswater car park, and though I had plenty of Black-headed and Herring Gulls around me looking for my bread offering, no rings were spotted at all.  Leaving Connswater, I then visited Victoria Park, Kinnegar Beach and the Connswater mudflats, and had the same result - no rings.  This was a first, as in all previous Christmas Days, numerous rings were found.

So to Boxing Day, and my latest visit to Antrim Marina.  Having had a few 'glasses' the night before, I arrived at the Marina at the later time of 11:30.  It was calm and sunny, with the temperature reading 7°C.  The gulls were flying around all over the place, and I discovered that seven canoeists on the river scared the gulls off.  With the canoeists having made their way upriver, the gulls began to return just after 11:30, with the ring of -  2FHC  being read first at 11:39.  Less than an hour later, my 21st and final ring was read at 12:22.

What I did not expect during my visit, was the sheer number of families arriving to feed the ducks and swans.  Of course, the gulls had more than their fare share, and began to settle onto the roof of the Gateway Centre.  As well as all of the families, the Lough Neagh Rescue boat came and went, and later was hauled out of the water.  I was informed by one of the staff, that they were searching the river and Lough Neagh, for an Antrim man who had gone missing in the town on Sunday evening of the 17th December, and feared he may have fallen into the river, known as the Six Mile Water. 

My visit was not one of the best for several reasons, and I gave up at 2pm.  Numbers of Black-headed Gulls fluctuated widely, with a maximum of around 80 birds.  No further returnees were recorded, and I have given up on the hope of the return of the Swedish Black-headed Gull, ringed -  2FDL .  This bird should have returned in the latter half of November.  The metal-rung Icelandic Black-headed Gull -  543335 , which appeared here on the 8th August 2023, was spotted today at 12:21.

This winters total of colour-ringed Black-headed Gulls still stands at 34, with 8 of these having been ringed this winter.  Around half of the ringed gulls that were recorded last winter, have failed to return this winter, so there is little hope of their return now.  I firmly believe that 'Bird Flu' has taken it's toll.

Colour Ringed Black-headed Gulls Recorded at Antrim Marina on Tuesday 26th December 2023
 2FHC   2FJH   2FFA   2FJJ   2BRA   2CJT   2FDJ 
 2FJT   2AAN   2AFD   2CSR   2FIP   2FJA   2CSK 
 2ABN   2FIF   2FIL   2FFX   2FIK   2AAB   2FJF 

Colour Ringed Black-headed Gulls Recorded at Antrim Marina This Autumn/Winter but Absent Today
 2ACV   2BRD   2CTA   2FDK   2FFT   2FHT   2FHV 
 2FIA   2FIJ   2FJK   2FJL   2FJN   2FJP   

Other Birds at Antrim Marina
13 Mute Swans were counted on my arrival, and none of the cygnets appeared during the visit.  A further three swans slipped in un-noticed taking the total to 16.  All of the swans came ashore, and the ring of -  Z78580  was read at 11:36.  This bird, which was ringed here as a juvenile in November 2020, returned to the Marina for a third winter running on the 1st October 2023.  It is now 3 years, 1 month and 11 days since it was ringed.

The pair of Herring Gulls were present throughout the visit.  The resident male, was joined by a new female just a few weeks ago.  Looking like she is here to stay.

Common Gulls reached a total of seven birds, which is the second highest total this winter.  All legs were checked, and I am now convinced that the small metal-rung Scottish has perished during the summer.

Around 40 Mallards decreased in numbers to around 25 birds by the time that I departed.  No wonder considering the amount of bread they had to eat.

The very tame Moorhen was once again seen plodding about all over the place.  Lots of people took much interest in this bird.

Four Jackdaws and a male Pied Wagtail appeared on several occasions, and three Hooded Crows made a brief visit to the small sandy beach.

On leaving Antrim, when I got back to Ballymena, I called into my local park, known as 'The Peoples Park'.  Around 100 Black-headed Gulls are present now, with numbers previously being on the low side for most of the Autumn.  I have made a few visits here over recent weeks, but not a single ring was spotted until today.  A metal-rung Black- headed Gull touched down briefly in front of me.  I managed to get one photo of the ring, and captured the five numbers on a BTO ring, meaning I was missing the two preceding letters -  **40015 .  The gulls here do not often get feeds, so most tend to be on the nervy side.  I will try to get this bird again, but it will be difficult to complete the number.

*******************************************************

No comments: