Sunday 18 February 2024

Antrim Marina - (Sunday 11th February 2024)


      Antrim Marina - Sunday 11th February 2024       
Before I begin this Sunday's account, I must make mention of an email received during the week from the Icelandic Bird Ringing Centre.  At last, the ringing details for a metal-rung Black-headed Gull, had arrived.  As I was told, the gull was likely to have been ringed during the summer of 2023, but details from the ringer had been requested.  The Icelandic metal-rung Black-headed Gull -  595818 , had been recorded on two occasions at Antrim Marina this winter - 12th November 2023 and 28th January 2024.  The gull was ringed as an unsexed adult, on the 11th July 2023, at Akureyri, a town close to the north coast of Iceland.  The distance to Antrim Marina, was given as 1,379 kms / 857 miles (SSE), and the duration since being ringed, was 6 months and 17 days, as of the 28th January.  Akureyri, is also the sighting location of -  2FHV  which did not appear during today's visit.

Arriving at Antrim Marina today, a slight fog was quickly burned off by the sun, leading to a bright day, with an initial temperature of 6°C, and just a slight westerly breeze.  A nice collection of Black-headed Gulls were well settled around the Marina, which led to an easy count of around 74 birds.  The first ring to be read, was that of -  2AAB , which was ringed at the Marina, and is now Northern Ireland's oldest colour-ringed Black-headed Gull - at 11 years, and 2 months since being ringed as an unsexed adult.

Less than 30 minutes later, the 18th ring to be read, was that of -  2ACV  at 10:35.  I reckoned that I was in for a good total for the day, however, just two further ring sightings were made at 11:37 -  2AAN , and 12:29 -  2FDK .  With 20 rings read altogether, I had a total of 15 absentees.  Many of the gulls are now developing their 'black hoods', which means that the new breeding season is fast approaching.

My 10th sighting today, was that of -  2FJJ , and sad news of this gull was reported to me the next day.  An email arrived with me from Ronan Owens of DAERA (Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs), to say that -  2FJJ  had been reported to them via the Avian Influenza Hotline, as dead on Monday 12th February 2024, by a member of the public.  The gull was subsequently recovered and will now be tested for 'Bird Flu'.  When I recorded -  2FJJ  today, the gull showed no signs of illness, and was very active in pursuing bread being thrown out to the ducks.   2FJJ  was caught and ringed at the Marina this winter (12th November 2023), as an unsexed 2nd calendar year bird (hatched 2022).  It was discovered in the grounds of the nearby Castle Gardens, 1km east from the Marina.  When found, it had been three months exactly since it was ringed.  I have requested a copy of the test results, but I reckon it did not have 'Bird Flu', and due to the nature of the area where it had been found, could it have been hit by a Sparrowhawk?

One Black-headed Gull was spotted hunched-up beside the wall of the slipway.  This one was definitely ill, and later, had parked itself under the bushes beside the small sandy beach.  It might well be suffering from the 'Bird Flu', but once you see birds in this condition, there is not much hope for them.

Colour Ringed Black-headed Gulls Recorded at Antrim Marina on Sunday 11th February 2024
 2AAB   2FJA   2FFX   2FIP   2FJF   2BRA   2FIF   2CJT   2CSK   2FJJ 
 2FFA   2FHC   2FJT   2FIL   2FIK   2CSR   2ABN   2ACV   2AAN   2FDK 

Colour Ringed Black-headed Gulls Recorded at Antrim Marina This Autumn/Winter but Absent Today
 2AFD   2BRD   2CTA   2FDJ   2FDL   2FFT   2FHT   2FHV 
 2FIA   2FIJ   2FJH   2FJK   2FJL   2FJN   2FJP   

The metal-rung Icelandic Black-headed Gull -  543335 , which has regularly been recorded since the 8th August 2023, was spotted again at 10:14.  Overall numbers decreased from my initial count, and varied wildly from 20 to 40 gulls.  Once again, with so many feeds from the public, I could not tempt the gulls to come close to me to be caught and ringed.   543335  is fairly fearless, but remains just inches away from being captured.  Time is quickly fading away to fit a colour-ring to this gull before it departs to Iceland for the summer.

Other Birds at Antrim Marina
17 (White) Mute Swans and the 4 cygnets that were hatched upriver from the Marina during the summer, were present on my arrival.  A further three adult swans flew in from the Lough at 11:49, taking the total to 20.  I say (White) Mute Swans, as some are definitely immature birds.  The metal-rung -  Z78580  has not been seen since the 14th January 2024, and I am now fearing the worst for this bird.  It was ringed here as a juvenile, on the 15th November 2020, the duration being 3 years, 1 month and 30 days when last seen.

Mallard numbers remain pitifully low.  23 birds were counted on my arrival, and 29 were present when I departed.  One all white duck, which had been seen here since my first visit in late July, has now disappeared as well.  This bird, which was paired to a Mallard, was here last winter.  All legs were checked today, but still no rings this winter.

The resident pair of Herring Gulls did not appear until 10:38 this morning, remaining throughout the remainder of my visit.  One adult Common Gull was present on my arrival, with a second adult, along with two juveniles arriving almost together at 10:24.  By 12:18, I had five adults, with a 6th arriving at 12:42.  The small metal-rung female from Scotland, was absent again, with just a single sighting this winter.  A Lesser Black-backed Gull made a brief appearance at 11:53.

A Kingfisher was heard calling as I parked beside the small concrete jetty.  I could not locate it, though I reckoned it was flying upriver at the time.  Both the adult and juvenile Moorhens were also present throughout todays visit, and 4 Jackdaws made up today's list of other birds.

*******************************************************
I now have a nice list of ring sightings from other observers, but unfortunately I'm having trouble in finding time to blog on these.  Even this blog post is very late to be published, as normally I would prefer to get it out by Friday at the latest.  As I finish this post, it is now supper time on Sunday evening, and I was at the Marina earlier today undertaking my latest visit.  During the week, my landlord had decided to replace our radiators for newer more economical radiators, which has led to some upheaval around the house.

*******************************************************

No comments: