Saturday, 15 August 2026

Antrim Marina - Tuesday 11th August 2026...


      Antrim Marina - Tuesday 11th August 2026       
After posting my last blog article, I received an email from my former ringing trainer - Sandy McWilliams.  I first met up with Sandy back in the 80's when I started to rings birds.  After reading my comments about the non-existence of Mallard chicks, Sandy offered up the probable cause.  A couple of months back, he spotted a Mink running along the opposite riverbank a short distance upriver from the Marina.  It had a dead male Blackbird in it's mouth.

If there are a couple of Mink families, they may well be predating the eggs and chicks of the Mallards.  It may also explain why the resident pair of Mute Swans have no cygnets.  I photographed a Mink here back in September 2014.  I had spotted it swimming across the river and into the boulders beside where the Gateway Centre is now built.  Waiting with camera in hand, it eventually poked its head out.  My thanks to Sandy for his comments. 

Mink  -  Antrim Marina  -  September 2014

Today (Tuesday 11th August 2026), I undertook my second weekly visit to Antrim Marina where I am studying a wintering population of Black-headed Gulls, some of which, have been colour-ringed during previous winters.  My arrival today was slightly later than I had planned, as back at home, I had to wait for Lorraine to return to the house after popping into town (Ballymena).  As mentioned before, Lorraine owns a cat that now needs keeping an eye on For health reasons.

After another visit to vet of late, the cat 'Rusty' was diagnosed as having 'Arthritis'.  We were concerned about the state of it's fur at the rear of it's back, which looked very 'shabby' and had lost it's 'sheen'.  It appears, due to the 'Arthritis', the cat can no longer reach around to clean itself.  The area effected was shaved off and mild painkillers were prescribed to ward off any pain.  The vet estimated that 'Rusty' is aged around 13 to 14 years - no wonder I had suggested it had the 'feline' equivalent of senile dementia.

Passing through the ANPR barrier, as I drove across the car park to my normal parking spot beside the short concrete jetty, the first thing that I noticed barring the pair of Mute Swans, was the return of the Blue/Green Algae.  Although not quite as bad as two years ago, it is of concern as it is killing the wildlife underneath the surface.

The Blue/Green Algae is Back Again  - Note the Green Line of Sludge at the Waters Edge 

On parking at 12:15, I made a note of the birds present and then set to work checking the legs of the Black-headed Gulls for coloured-rings belonging to my study or from other projects.  I also check for gulls ringed with metal-rings only.

Around 70 Black-headed Gulls were present, and once again, there were also a good number of juveniles.  Numbers held up well, and perhaps reached the 90 point.  I remained until 3:30, and just 9 colour-rings were read.  Last week (week 1), I read 10 colour-rings altogether, but today, 3 of those gulls were absent, but a further two were added to this winter's list, which takes the overall total to 12.

 2FJT , was the first to be added at 12:34.  I consider -  2FJT  to be a non-resident, though Suzanne Belshaw had already recorded it's return on the 14th July 2026.  I was ringed at the Marina in December 2023 as an unsexed adult.

 2FIL , was the second to be added to this winter's list, and was the last to be spotted at 3:18pm.   2FIL , is a year round resident at the Marina.  It was ringed here as a 2nd winter bird (hatched in 2021) on the 31st October 2022.

Due to the very good weather conditions the area around the Marina was hectic.  Many families with kids passed through and the younger kids constantly chased the gulls.  I wanted to take photos of -  2FJT  and  2FIL , but was unable to do so.

Colour Ringed Black-headed Gulls Recorded at Antrim Marina on Tuesday 11th August 2026
 2FJA   2CSK   2FHV   2FJT   2FKA   2CJT   2AAN   2FFT   2FIL 

Colour Ringed Black-headed Gulls Recorded at Antrim Marina This Autumn/Winter but Absent today
 2BRA   2CSR   2FIF 

There was also a bit of drama just before I departed.  A young boy, possibly 8 to 10 years of age, had walked into the river down the slipway.  As people tried to persuade him to come back in, he just stood there covered right up to his neck - one slip and would be gone.  Myself and a young lady walked up to the picnic tables and asked if anyone was missing a young boy - a definite no.

I also checked the visitor centre inside the 'Gateway Centre'.  Returning to the slipway, a parent had arrived and managed to coax the young boy out.  They walked out of the car park, and their car must have been parked somewhere around the 'Play Park'.  The way the young lad looked, I think he could have 'mental problems', so this was a lucky escape.

Other Birds at Antrim Marina
Just the two Mute Swans today, the female of the pair is an immature.  Most of the time, they rested on the slipway.

Mallards numbers were fairly good with around 60 to 70 birds present through most of my visit today.  After several feeds of bread and pellets from passers by, the total dropped slightly.  With most legs checked for rings, it has been a long time since I have recorded a ringed Mallard here.

No sooner had I parked my car beside the small concrete jetty, the resident male Herring Gull wasted no time walking up to the car.  With bread in hand, he readily pulled off chunks.  His youngster also came up to the car, and after watching his father, he took bread from my hand.

A second calendar year Herring Gull arrived at 12:30, and I'm fairly sure, he was the youngster of the resident Herring Gull from last year.  The female arrived at 12:37 and quickly joined up to the male.  A further two juveniles Herring Gulls arrived at 13:10 and 13:25 and quickly took advantage of the bread being thrown out.

Only one Common Gull today.  This adult was present throughout my visit and on two occasions happily stood on the roof of my car.  An adult Lesser Black-backed Gull made a brief stop at 15:02.

Two Jackdaws and a single Hooded Crow were the only other species noted today.

***********************************************************************************

No comments: