Saturday 25 June 2022

Way Behind...

This post should have been published a few weeks back now, but I have been far too busy both at home and away to finally complete it.  I had already started my next post, which I will now scrap, and restart as a summary as to what has been happening since the 6th June 2022.  Many Common Gull chicks have now been colour-ringed, and at this point, I have now surpassed my best total on Rathlin Island.  More in my next post.
___________________________________________________________________________________


      Saturday 28th May 2022       
With just a few hours to spare this afternoon, I made my third summer visit to Antrim Marina, before proceeding onwards to the RSPB's Portmore Lough Reserve.

On my previous two summer visits to Antrim Marina, there were very few gulls about and no colour-ringed Black-headed Gulls were recorded.  Looking over at the nearby former 'Torpedo Platform', it was a hive of activity with nesting gulls.

On this latest visit, once again, there were few gulls about, but having spent two hours on the site, four colour-ringed gulls were recorded - three of which have long been established to be year round residents.  These three with Orange Darvics, belong to Adam McClure's former Northern Ireland Black-headed Gull Study, and I now respond to sightings of those gulls.  The very first gulls to be colour-ringed during Adam's project, were ringed at Antrim Marina.  On becoming involved with the NI study, I began my own study at Antrim Marina, recording the wintering population on a weekly basis, from the beginning of August until the end of March each winter.

During this time, I re-trained as a ringer, and now catch and colour-ring Black-headed Gulls each winter to add new birds to my study at Antrim Marina.  Having used up the last of the Orange Darvics that was given to me by Adam, I was forced to transfer some of my Blue Darvics that had been registered to be used on Common Gulls, now to be used on the Black-headed Gulls.  This series, begins with -  2FAA , and some were used to ring Black-headed Gull chicks at a colony in County Donegal, though most have now been used at Antrim Marina.

I am especially keen to obtain summer sightings of the gulls with Blue Darvics at Antrim Marina, as being more recently rung, I'm trying to build up profiles on these gulls to determine whether or not, they are year round residents, or just winter visitors.

The first gull to be spotted at Antrim Marina today, had one of these Blue Darvics.  The bird -  2FHP , is now a second calendar year bird, and had been caught and ringed at the Marina, on the 8th November 2021, as a juvenile/1st winter bird.  Since being ringed, it was recorded on most weeks through to the 21st March 2022 (Suzanne Belshaw), which was it's last sighting until today.  It now seems likely, that this young gull will become a year round resident.  It is now 6 months and 20 days since -  2FHP  was ringed, though it would be approaching it's first birthday, as it would have hatched in late May or early June 2021.

Black-headed Gull  -   2FHP   -  Antrim Marina, Antrim Town, Co. Antrim  (28 May 2022)
(Ringed as an Un-Sexed Juvenile, on the 8th November 2021, at Antrim Marina)

As stated above, the three with Orange Darvics, have long been known to be year round residents to Antrim Marina.  The first was -  2ABK , which was ringed here as an adult female, on the 23rd January 2013.  Today's sighting is the 349th sighting record, with the duration since being ringed, now standing at 9 years, 4 months and 5 days.  There has just been the one sighting of -  2ABK , having strayed from Antrim Marina, and this was recorded by Suzanne Belshaw.  This occurred on the 17th March 2020, when Suzanne recorded the bird at Kinnego Marina, 27 kms / 16 miles (SSW), from Antrim Marina.  

Black-headed Gull  -   2ABK   -  Antrim Marina, Antrim Town, Co. Antrim  (28 May 2022)
(Ringed as an Adult Female, on the 23rd January 2013, at Antrim Marina)

Next to be spotted, was -  2AAA , the very first Black-headed Gull to be ringed by Adam McClure during his former project, which lasted from 2012, until the end of June 2018.   2AAA , was ringed as an adult male, on the 12th November 2012, at the Marina.  Today's sighting, is it's 274th sighting record, and has never been recorded elsewhere.  The duration since being ringed, is now 9 years, 6 months and 16 days.  As this bird was the first to be ringed, I am hoping it will exceed the 10 year mark this winter.

Black-headed Gull  -   2AAA   -  Antrim Marina, Antrim Town, Co. Antrim  (28 May 2022)
(Ringed as an Adult Male, on the 12th November 2012, at Antrim Marina)

 2BRA , was caught and ringed at Antrim Marina, as an adult female, on the 1st February 2015, the day that Adam and myself met for the very first time.  Today's sighting, is the 240th sighting record, with all sightings having been made at Antrim Marina.  The duration since being ringed, is now 7 years, 3 months and 27 days.

Black-headed Gull  -   2BRA   -  Antrim Marina, Antrim Town, Co. Antrim  (28 May 2022)
(Ringed as an Adult Female, on the 1st February 2015, at Antrim Marina)

Portmore Lough
Leaving Antrim, I drove south to the RSPB's Portmore Lough Reserve.  Making my way to the hide which overlooks two breeding platforms on the Lough, I met a gent inside, who informed me that two Marsh Harriers had been spotted there earlier.  I'm not really interested in rare sightings of birds, as these do not appeal to me.  Had they been breeding or ringed (wing-tagged), then I would be interested.  My main aim is to read rings, as these can tell a story.

Here on the two nest platforms, the Black-headed Gulls nests were crammed together, and Common Terns tried to land and establish some real estate for themselves.  I was looking for one particular Black-headed Gull -  2BKN , which I recorded nesting here on the 12th May 2019, it's only sighting record to date.   2BKN , had been ringed as a chick, on the 19th June 2014, at the WWT Castle Espie Wetland Reserve in County Down, with the bird having moved 38 kms / 23 miles (W), to reach Portmore Lough.

Due to 'Covid Restrictions' during 2020 and 2021, the RSPB closed it's reserves and hides to the public.  Today, it was fairly difficult to view the nesting platforms, as very tall reeds were obstructing a perfect view.  Eventually, I spotted an Orange Darvic, but I was not able to capture the code, as other gulls were standing between my target and myself.  Hopefully, in a couple of weeks time, the gull may been seen again, once the chicks become larger.  I'm really hoping that this bird is -  2BKN .

Returning to Ballymena, I had a little time to spare, so I headed up to higher ground and took my first decent flight with my new drone.  I had not planned to buy one until next year, but could not resist an offer of 200 pounds off the recommended selling price.  Really enjoyed my first flight, and the video pictures taken are superb, all in all, an excellent piece of kit. 

*******************************************************

      Fourth 2022 Visit to Rathlin Island - 6th June       
During my first three visits to Rathlin Island this summer, I have concentrated on the numbers of Common Gulls at each of the sub-colonies to establish just how many pairs could be nesting, as well as reading colour-rings on gulls which I have ringed as chicks since I began my project on Rathlin in 2017.  I have always believed that the overall population of Common Gulls on Rathlin, was around 100 pairs, but after recent counts, I'm now sure that the total would easily exceed my estimates.  The breeding population, would also be far greater than the numbers reported in the Northern Ireland Seabird Reports. 

During my third visit on the 22nd May 2022, I noticed the first Common Gull chicks at Doon Bay, so ringing will begin in three weeks time, around the 12th June onwards.  During today's visit, although very few chicks were actually spotted, many females are now off their nests, so today's emphasis was to read rings.  Some females are still sitting tight on their nests, so are either on small chicks or eggs.

Having got off the ferry at Rathlin harbour, I made my way to the Arkill Bay colony.  Whilst walking along the shore road through Church Bay and Mill Bay, I saw a single Common Gull on the shore at Mill Bay.  Taking a peek through my binoculars, I was sure that the bird was colour-ringed, and on using my telescope, I was right.  Now zooming in with my camera, I captured the code -  2BJH , which I did not recognise, so I thought I may have made a new sighting.  During the day, I made 15 colour-ring sightings, with the last one being -  2BJH  again, this time on the small rocky islet on Ushet Lough.  I recorded a colour-ringed Common Gull on this islet last summer, so I now reckoned, that this was the same bird.

On returning home, I consulted my 'Ring Reading Spreadsheet', to find that this was the same gull recorded last summer, which at the time, was also a first re-sighting.   2BJH , had been ringed as a chick, on the 18th June 2019, at the Rue Point colony on Rathlin, which is about 1 km south from Ushet Lough.  When I first re-sighted -  2BJH  on the 14th June 2021, the duration at the time since it had been ringed, was 1 year, 11 months and 27 days.  Not fully mature at that time, I'm sure the gull was prospecting a nest site, as it would be fully mature this year.

The first photo shows -  2BJH  feeding at Mill Bay, whilst the second photo shows the gull standing beside it's partner on the small rocky islet.  One chick could be seen just off the photo to the right.  The duration since being ringed, is now 2 years, 11 months and 19 days.

 2BJH , was one of four gulls, which I recorded today with first re-sightings since last summer.  Outside of the breeding season, most Common Gulls leave Rathlin Island, but I receive very few winter sightings, so I have no idea as to where most birds spend their winters.  It is really pleasing, when recording the gulls back at their breeding sites, as this provides the easiest opportunity to read the rings. 

Common Gull  -   2BJH   -  Mill Bay, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim  (06 Jun 2022)

Common Gull  -   2BJH   -  Ushet Lough, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim  (06 Jun 2022)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 18th June 2019, at Rue Point, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim)

Arkill Bay
At Arkill Bay, which now holds Rathlin's biggest Common Gull colony, I recorded four colour-ringed birds, but was not able to capture the code on a fifth ring.  The four colour-ringed gulls have all been previously recorded here this summer, which includes -  2BLX , which was recorded for the first time ever, on the 22nd May 2022.

In recent posts, I have been 'harping on' about the RSPB's new Craigmacagan Trail, which passes directly above the colony here at Arkill Bay.  Towards the end of the breeding season last year, the trail was under construction, and I knew this was going to cause problems this summer.  I feared, people being people, some would venture onto the rocks where the gulls were nesting, and this was bourn out, when I had to intervene with one man walking through the colony.

The area was supposed to be cordoned off, which still was not the case during my last visit here.  Today, I saw that a cordon has now been put in place, but my goodness - does the RSPB have any brains at all.  The cordon is situated right beside the rocks where the gulls are nesting, with some nests less than two feet away on the other side.  Anyone walking by this will keep the gulls off their nests for long periods of time, which is absolutely useless.  To my mind, the cordon should be placed level with the picnic tables further up the hillside, with the best scenario being to close the trail from the end of April until the end of July.  Even with a cordon level with the picnic tables, the gulls will initially take flight, but will return to their nests quickly if there is no further encroachment.  

I myself, scope the gulls from well up the hillside and try to remain as small as possible, as to pose as little threat as possible.  The gulls seem to have got used to me, as they settle down very quickly once I'm stationary at my position.  I had meant to take a photo, but forgot after being distracted by a man on a quad bike out spraying.  Not exactly sure what he was spraying, though possibly the ferns, but the use of 'chemicals' - that is not the natural way to proceed in this day and age.

Common Gull  -   2BKJ   -  Arkill Bay, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim  (06 Jun 2022)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 24th June 2019, at Arkill Bay)

Common Gull  -   2BKL   -  Arkill Bay, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim  (06 Jun 2022)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 24th June 2019, at Arkill Bay)

Common Gull  -   2BBF   -  Arkill Bay, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim  (06 Jun 2022)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 24th June 2017, at Arkill Bay)

Common Gull  -   2BLX   -  Arkill Bay, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim  (06 Jun 2022)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 24th June 2019, at Arkill Bay)

Doon Bay
Just two colour-ringed Common Gulls were recorded at Doon Bay, both having previously being recorded this summer.  I was surprised that no new sightings were made, as most of the females are now off their nests with their chicks having hatched.  The first gull spotted was -  2BBL , which took off along with it's partner and alighted further away from me, so I ended up having to take a photo at long range.  This is my second sighting this summer of -  2BBL , having recorded it's return to Rathlin on the 6th May 2022.

The second bird was -  2BNJ , whose return to Rathlin, was recorded on the 15th May 2022.

Common Gull  -   2BBL   -  Doon Bay, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim  (06 Jun 2022)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 26th June 2018, at Doon Bay)

Common Gull  -   2BNJ   -  Doon Bay, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim  (06 Jun 2022)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 26th June 2019, at Doon Bay)

Rue Point
At Rue Point, the colour-rings on seven Common Gulls were read, four of which were ringed as chicks at Rue Point when I began my project here in 2017.  A fifth 2017 rung youngster, had been ringed at the Arkill Bay colony, 2 kms to the north, but has long since settled to breed at Rue Point colony.

The sightings of -  2ATV  2BCC  and -  2BJK  today, were the first for these gulls since last summer which mean they could all be females with their legs hidden on nests until now.

Common Gull  -   2APC   -  Rue Point, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim  (06 Jun 2022)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 17th June 2017, at Rue Point)

Common Gull  -   2ATV   -  Rue Point, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim  (06 Jun 2022)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 17th June 2017, at Rue Point)

 2ASX , nested right beside the footpath leading to the Rue Point Lighthouse, and having recorded three eggs in her nest on the 15th & 22nd May, on today's visit, there were three small downy chicks.

Common Gull  -   2ASX   -  Rue Point, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim  (06 Jun 2022)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 17th June 2017, at Rue Point)

Common Gull  -   2BJK   -  Rue Point, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim  (06 Jun 2022)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 18th June 2019, at Rue Point)

Common Gull  -   2BAX   -  Rue Point, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim  (06 Jun 2022)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 24th June 2017, at Arkill Bay, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim)

Common Gull  -   2BCC   -  Rue Point, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim  (06 Jun 2022)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 18th June 2018, at Rue Point)

Common Gull  -   2BAH   -  Rue Point, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim  (06 Jun 2022)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 24th June 2017, at Rue Point)

Having scoped through the Common Gulls looking for colour-rings, my attention then focused on a large number of adult and immature Kittiwakes resting on the rocks not far away from the Lighthouse.  Ric Else had recorded a colour-ringed Kittiwake here in the past, so I thought it was well worth checking these birds in case that particular bird had returned.  No colour-rings seen, but a second calendar year Little Gull was a real bonus.

Second Calendar Year Little Gull at Rue Point, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim  (06 Jun 2022)

Leaving Rue Point, I then made my way to Ushet Lough.  Earlier whilst I was making my way to the Common Gull colony at Doon Bay, I stopped briefly on the eastern shore of the Lough.  From here, I scoped towards the far side, where three Common Gull nests had been recorded on an earlier visit.  None of the birds were sitting, so it seems likely that all of the eggs have now hatched.  The adults were all spotted along the shore, so the chicks would be somewhere close to them in the vegetation.  As I was scoping, I noticed a Barnacle Goose among the Greylags on the Lough.  Knowing this was one for the Rathlin Island Bird Report, I had to get a photo.  On reaching Ushet Lough again, I managed to get my picture of the goose.

Adult Barnacle Goose on Ushet Lough, Rathlin Island  (06 Jun 2022)

I made my way over to the tiny rocky island which holds several pairs of nesting Common Gulls.  Having recorded Common Gull -  2BJH  for the second time today, no other rings were noted.  Among the rocks I could see a few tiny chicks.  Whilst I walked over to the islet, three female Tufted Ducks were accidentally flushed from their nests which contained 2x9 eggs, and one with 8 eggs.  Two nests were situated in clumps of Juncus Rush, whilst the other nest was sited within a young gorse bush. 

Moving away from the Common Gulls, I began scoping through loads of Greylag Geese, and spotted an orange neck-collar.  Although I failed to capture the letter ' B ' on the collar, this bird was -  B|VJ , which I last saw here on the 16th June 2019, having first recorded the bird on the 18th June 2018.  Ringed as an adult male on Rathlin Island, on the 10th February 2017, along with it's partner, female  B|VI , I would assume she is now dead, hence her absence.  It may be possible that she is on a nest somewhere close by, though it is now getting quite late into the breeding season, it will be well worth keeping an eye out to see what happens.  It is now 5 years, 3 months and 27 days since -  B|VJ  was caught and ringed.

Greylag Goose  -   B|VJ  -  Ushet Lough, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim  (06 Jun 2022)
(Ringed as an Adult Male, on the 10th February 2017, on Rathlin Island)

*******************************************************

      Ringing Details Received       
In my previous post, I reported on two colour-ringed juvenile Herring Gulls, which were spotted by Suzanne Belshaw at Castle Park in Newcastle, Co. Down.  The ringing details for -  K80:M , have now been received from Mark Fitzpatrick, who is the ringing coordinator on the Isle of Man.

 K80:M , had been ringed as a chick, on the 19th July 2021, on the Calf of Man, Isle of Man.  Suzanne's sighting is now the second for this bird, as on the 22nd February 2022, the young gull had been spotted on the Ogmore Estuary in Bridgend, Wales.

The distance from the Calf of Man, to Newcastle, is 74 kms / 45 miles (WNW), and the duration since being ringed, is now 10 months and 2 days.

My thanks goes to Mark for the information, and to Suzanne for submitting her two sightings.

*******************************************************

No comments: