Friday 20 October 2023

Antrim Marina - (Sunday 15th October 2023)


      Antrim Marina - Sunday 15th October 2023       
This week's weekly visit to Antrim Marina, turned out to be a non event.  Arriving just before 10.10am, as I approached the barrier leading into the front car park, I could see a lorry reversing into my parking spot beside the short concrete jetty.  The lorry belonged to the cleaners, who would from time to time, power hose the jetties which often become caked with gull droppings.

I parked my car beside the low wooden jetty and walked over for a chat.  The guys were using a tape to cordon off the area, and they explained that this time, they were here to power-hose the 'Gateway Centre' building which they are contracted to clean once every three months.  Normally in the past, if they arrived whilst I was surveying the gulls, they would go away and come back later.  However, today's task was going to take several hours to complete, therefore I had to abandon today's visit.

With my new job, I have to work days, so there was no chance to get back again this week.  I was allowed to pass the cordon for a quick peek to see what was about before I departed.  23 Mallards, 2 Mute Swans and just 5 Black-headed Gulls were present.  With the ducks and swans being on the river, their legs could not be seen.  The 5 Black-headed Gulls were on the long wooden jetty, and a quick look through my scope revealed one ring -  2FFA .

I was really disappointed in having to miss this visit, as my Estonian Black-headed Gull -  2FDJ , was due to return to the Marina if it had managed to miss the 'Bird Flu' outbreaks.  Another gull -  2FFL , was also due back, but where this one goes to in the summer, is as yet, unknown.

With the tide in Belfast Lough not due to go out until mid afternoon, I drove to Carrickfergus and then southwards down to Belfast checking inland sites for ringed gulls, before reaching the shore at Kinnegar Beach.  Not a single ring was spotted anywhere, and at Kinnegar, the tide was well on it's way out before the gulls and waders began to appear, which was unusual for this site.  A colour-ringed Brent Goose, which was one of six present, was spotted, but I do not bother reporting Brent Geese these days, as the guy that took over the Brent Goose Project from Graham McElwaine, does not bother to respond.

To finish off the afternoon, I thought I would check out Whitehouse Lagoon, but coming off the motorway, the access road was closed.  What a waste of a day this was.

********************************************************

No comments: