Thursday 2 May 2024

Study Gull Sightings...


      From Linda Thompson       
An email from Linda Thompson on the 27th April 2024, provided me with one of those 'WoW' moments.  Earlier that day, Linda came across one of Adam McClure's Black-headed Gulls from his former Northern Ireland Black-headed Gull Study (2012 to 2018).  The gull -  2BJL , was spotted on the stretch of water at Carrickfergus Leisure Centre known as the Mill Ponds.

 2BJL , was ringed as a chick, on the 19th June 2014, at the Wetland and Wildlife Trust's Castle Espie Reserve in County Down.  The first re-sighting, was made by myself, on the 5th September 2014, when I spotted the juvenile at a housing estate in Ballymena, Co. Antrim.  I remember that sighting very well.  At that time, as a taxi driver, I had dropped a customer off to her house, and as I was leaving the estate, I noticed that one of the Black-headed Gull's had an Orange Darvic.  I rushed to my own house a short distance away and returned with a camera.  Those were the days before I purchased the more powerful Nikon P900, latterly followed by the amazing Nikon P1000, and managed a few photos which also showed the code on the ring.   2BJL , had travelled 53 kms / 33 miles (NW) to reach Ballymena, and was sighted 2 months and 17 days after being ringed.

Black-headed Gull  -   2BJL   -  Doury Road Housing Estate, Ballymena, Co. Antrim  (05 Sep 2014)

The second sighting was made by a holiday visitor, who came over for the Christmas period to visit family in Ballyclare, and included some birdwatching here.  Jeff Higgott spotted -  2BJL  on the 21st December 2019, on the shore at Kilroot Power Station on Belfast Lough.  I was obviously delighted with this sighting seeing as I had recorded this gull in the past.  At that time, the duration since being ringed, was 5 years, 6 months and 2 days, the distance from Castle Espie, being 22 kms / 13 miles (NNW).  Unfortunately, Jeff was unable to obtain a photo.

At that time, the shore at Kilroot was unknown to me, but I have made many visits since to see if I could spot that gull for a second time.  As time passed by, I began to think that the gull had died, so Linda's recent sighting came as a 'bombshell' moment.  Kilroot is situated to the north, adjacent to Carrickfergus, so the area is obviously a favourite haunt.  What I do find interesting, is the April sightings, and as far as I know, there are no breeding colonies in Carrickfergus.  Gulls often return to their natal colonies, but with lots of eyes at Castle Espie,  2BJL  has never been re-sighted there.

This third sighting, comes 9 years, 10 months and 8 days since being ringed, and the distance from Castle Espie to the Mill Ponds, is 21 kms / 13 miles (NNW).

My thanks goes to Linda for this sighting report along with a photo.  I would still love to record the gull myself again, at least I know it is still alive and well.

Black-headed Gull  -   2BJL   -  Carrickfergus Leisure Centre, Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim  (27 Apr 2024)
(Ringed as a chick, on the 19th June 2014, at WWT Castle Espie Wetland Centre, Co. Down)
(Photo Courtesy of Linda Thompson)

*******************************************************

      Two Common Gull Sightings       
Having completed another winter studying wintering Black-headed Gulls at Antrim Marina, my focus has moved on to nesting raptors.  Occasionally when I'm on the coast, I would check gull flocks for rings, and on the 22nd April 2024, I fell in with two Common Gulls ringed as chicks on Rathlin Island.  Since 2017, I have colour-ringed chicks with the view of recording birds that return as adults to integrate into the overall breeding population of around 100+ pairs.  Normally in their first two years, most chicks appear to avoid the island, with some third year birds returning to prospect nest sites.  Some of these prospectors go as far as building nests, but I have yet to record eggs being laid.  It appears to be the norm, that as fourth year birds they do breed for the first time.

I have found that sightings of the colour-ringed Common Gulls away from Rathlin Island, are few and far between, especially over the winter months.  The best time to read rings, are when the gulls return to their colonies, where rings can be read at a distance using a telescope or the use of a camera.

The first of my two sightings was that of -  2BXN , spotted in a group of around a dozen Common Gulls on Cushendall Beach where a fresh water outlet flows across the shore.  This was a first re-sighting, with the gull having been ringed as a chick, on the 11th July 2021 at the Rue Point colony on Rathlin.  The duration since being ringed, was 2 years, 9 months and 11 days, and the distance from Rathlin to Cushendall Beach, is 22 kms / 13 miles (SSE).  Seeing as -  2BXN  is now in it's 3rd year, it should be prospecting a nest site.  A small population of normally four pairs breed along the shore between Cushendall and the southern Red Bay, therefore -  2BXN  may join that population.

Common Gull  -   2BXN   -  Cushendall Beach, Cushendall, Co. Antrim  (22 Apr 2024)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 11th July 2021, at Rue Point, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim)

The second Common Gull -  2CHN , was also a first re-sighting and was spotted on the beach at Waterfoot, slightly south of Cushendall Beach.   2CHN  was ringed as a chick, on the 21st June 2022, at the Arkill Bay colony on Rathlin.  The duration since being ringed, was 1 year, 10 months and 1 day, and the distance from Rathlin, is 26 kms / 16 miles (SSE).

Common Gull  -   2CHN   -  Waterfoot Beach, Waterfoot, Co. Antrim  (24 Apr 2024)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 21st June 2022, at Arkill Bay, Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim)

As stated above, sightings away from Rathlin are few and far between.  It is always nice to know, that there are surviving birds out there somewhere.  I'm sure that many more will be found in the future.  Now that we are into the month of May, many of the Common Gulls on Rathlin Island will be on eggs.  Soon I shall begin my summer visits to scope the rings, and among the known adults, perhaps a few returning birds will be recorded for the first time.  Having skipped the month of April, I will also begin random visits to Antrim Marina to record the resident Black-headed gulls over May and June.  Anyone visiting Antrim Marina, ring sightings would be welcomed - plattgareth@yahoo.co.uk.

*******************************************************

No comments: