Saturday 5 February 2022

New Med...

With Storm Malik hitting the British Isles last weekend, I decided to remain at home and began transferring files from my old laptop to my new laptop, by way of a memory stick.  The new laptop will only be used form my birdwatching stuff, with the old laptop being used for media, etc.  Bookmarks for all my favourite birding sites, online databases and so, were also set up.  Some of the bookmarks presented me with a few problems, as having been set up so long ago, I could not remember my passwords, so I undertook the arduous job of creating new passwords.  So frustrating when you have so many to do, but overall, I am really delighted with being able to plough on without any hiccups.  I'm also finding that my blog is far easier to work with, seeing as I'm using Microsoft Edge as my main browser now, as opposed to Firefox on my old laptop.  This has left me wondering, if it was the choice of browser which had created many of my problems.  Like the birds, 'I'm Flying Now'.
 
My recent visit to Antrim Marina, came close to being a non-event, but as things turned out, my decision to stay was well rewarded.  Sightings from Cameron Moore and David Nixon, has added some 'weight' to this week's post, and many thanks for these. 
 
Suzanne Belshaw, has also been in touch with a few ring sightings, but I'm holding these back until my next post as we are waiting to see if we can get anything back from the BTO, regarding a colour-ringed Redshank.  The owner, was contacted, but has failed to reply, which knowing his attitude, does not surprise us any more.  I really hope Suzanne gets a result for her efforts.   
___________________________________________________________________________ 
 
      Antrim Marina - Monday 31st January 2022       
When I arrived at Antrim Marina this morning, I felt like turning my car around, and head back home to Ballymena.  As I pulled up to the barrier which allows me access into the front car park at the Marina, there was a large lorry parked where I normally park, close to the small concrete jetty.  The barrier opened up, so I drove in a short distance then stopped.  Two men were busy power hosing the jetties, and of course, no a single gull was present.  Even the six Mute Swans, and around a dozen Mallards were not too happy with the noise, and they parked themselves in the middle of the river.  Despite my thoughts of returning home, a few minutes later, I decided to stay and see what would happen.

Every so often, small flocks of Black-headed Gulls flew high over the Marina, but with the activities going on, they would just drift away again.  The morning was dull, with a few showers of light rain, and virtually no wind.  I arrived at the Marina at 09:10 this morning, and then walked around the car park.  Whilst pacing about, I then noticed a large branch had broken near the top of the Crack Willow tree, which marks the inland end of Marina.  What was even worse, was that the branch had snagged among smaller branches right above the public footpath.  Although there was no imminent danger of the branch falling, if it had, someone could easily get a nasty shock, or even injury.

A short distance away towards the playpark, a Council van was sitting, so I made my way over.  The two gents inside were taking their tea break, and I informed them about the branch.  One of the men walked over with me to take a look and some photos.  He said he would contact his headquarters to get something done.  It was approaching 10am, when suddenly the noise abated.  The two men power hosing had stopped for their tea break as well.  At this point, another flock of gulls floated in, and I began throwing out bits of bread.  Having parked my car near to the entrance barrier, I managed to lure the gulls into the car park, possibly numbering 25 birds altogether.

At exactly 10:00, I read my first colour-ring -   2ABK .  By 10:35, the juvenile -   2FHP  became the 8th ring to be read, when the power hosing resumed.  This continued until around 11:20, when the workmen stopped and began packing up.  In the meantime, Tree Surgeons had arrived to take care of the broken branch.  This kept me occupied, as I chatted to two of the men, whilst a third ascended the tree, and cut loose the branch.  A saw had to be passed up, as some of the main branch was rotten, and this also had to be cut back.

Having sorted out the problem, they departed shortly before the power hosing stopped, after which time, the gulls began to arrive again.  At 11:29, I read my 9th ring -   2FFL , and by 12:10, I had read 25 colour-rings in total, with the metal ring of -   2ABL , having been the final sighting of the visit.  My 21st sighting at 11:50, had me rushing back to my car to get my camera.  With around 100 gulls now scattered around the car park, I spied -   2FDL , and instantly knew this was a first re-sighting of the gull this winter.

Every week, I hand write a list of colour-coded rings of gulls recorded or ringed this winter, and as I record each, I write down the time of sighting.  On each list, I write -   2FDJ   2FDK  and   2FDT , so I knew -   2FDL  was new.  Having got my camera, I had to look through the gulls again with my telescope, to see where -   2FDL  was.  On spotting my target, it then flew off in the direction of the breakwater.  Now panicking, I began throwing out lots of bread, and my bird turned and flew back.  Watching as to where it landed, I rested my camera on top of my telescope, and got my pictures. 
 
On returning home, I checked my Spreadsheet, to discover, that my last sighting of this gull, was made back in January 2020.  I had caught and ringed -   2FDL , at Antrim Marina, as an un-sexed adult, on the 18th November 2019.  Over the following weekly visits, I recorded -   2FDL  on five occasions up until the 20th January 2020, which was 2 months and 2 days after being ringed.  This sighting goes to show, that you cannot always 'write off' birds if they have not been seen for some time.  I was really delighted at getting this re-sighting, and just to think, the bird nearly got away.  One feature of my 'Ring Reading', is to obtain photos as proof of sightings, otherwise I do not submit them.  The duration since being ringed, is now 2 years, 2 months and 13 days.  I'm now hoping this bird, which becomes the 55th overall on this winter's list, remains in the area for at least a few more weeks.
 
Black-headed Gull  -    2FDL   -  Antrim Marina, Antrim Town, Co. Antrim  (31 Jan 2022)
(Ringed as an Un-Sexed Adult, on the 18th November 2019, at Antrim Marina)
 
Having recorded the return of -   2FDL , my decision to remain at the Marina despite the disturbance had been rewarded.  On entering the 25 colour-ring sightings onto my Antrim Marina Spreadsheet, three other gulls also caught my eye, being -   2FFT   2FIC  and   2FIF 

  2FFT , was ringed as an un-sexed adult here on the 21st December 2020, and today's sighting was only it's third for this winter.  I initially recorded it's return here on the 8th November 2021, and also got it again the following week.

  2FIC , was ringed here as a juvenile, on the 22nd November 2021, and I last recorded this one, on the 20th December 2021.  It's is great to know that it is still alive and well, especially as many juveniles do not survive their first winter.  As spring is approaching fast, this youngster should do ok.

  2FIF , was ringed here as an un-sexed adult, on the 29th November 2021.  It's first re-sighting, was made on the 3rd January 2022, followed by a second sighting last week.  As with -   2FFT  mentioned above, it's good to know that these adults have remained in the area.

During one shower of rain, my new friend appeared at the window of my car, whilst I was taking shelter.  It was the 'one legged' Black-headed Gull which arrived here just recently.  Just goes to show how some birds quickly learn certain things.  The bird 'hovered' by the window, waiting for me to throw it bits of bread.  After each take, it would fly in a wide circle and come back for more.

Overall, my visit did not turn out to be as bad as I thought it would.  As I stated above,   2ABL , was the last gull recorded at 12:10, then suddenly they all flew off.  They had spotted a paddleboarder coming through the barrier heading for the slipway.  I had hoped that he would move away very quickly, but he just went up and down in front of the Marina.  I was planning to stay until 1pm, in the hope of recording a few more rings, but at 12:35, I decided to head home.  With the number of small flocks which appeared all morning, I reckoned that this could have been an excellent visit, had it not been for the workmen and their power hoses.  Even to get 100 gulls down onto the car park very late on, showed what might have been.

Colour Ringed Black-headed Gulls Recorded at Antrim Marina on Monday 31st January 2022
 2ABK   2FFF   2FHL   2FDK   2FIA   2CJT   2FDT   2FHP   2FFL 
 2ABS   2FIC   2FFT   2ABN   2CSJ   2FFX   2AAK   2BRA   2FFA 
 2CSB   2CSR   2FDL   2AAB   2CTC   2FIF   2ABL     

Black-headed Gulls Recorded or Ringed This Autumn/Winter but Absent Today
 2AAA   2AAN   2AAR   2ABA   2ACV   2AFD   2BRD   2CSA   2CSK   2CSL 
 2CSX   2CTA   2FDJ   2FDV   2FFC   2FFJ   2FFN   2FFP   2FHA   2FHC 
 2FHF   2FHH   2FHJ   2FHK   2FHT   2FHV   2FHX   2FIH   2FIJ   

Other Birds at Antrim Marina
By the time the workmen stopped for a tea break, the six Mute Swans which had been seen on the river, had disappeared towards the Lough, with a pair, along with four cygnets arriving.  Now that it was quite and having sorted out the few Black-headed Gulls, I lured the swans onto the slipway - non were ringed.  As time went by, they too departed, but 8 Swans had arrived.  As I was parked up close to the barrier, I was not able to see the comings and goings of the swans, seeing as I was not parked in my usual spot.  Once the workmen began packing up, I managed to lure all 8 swans out of the water, and recorded both -   Z78574  and   Z78580 , both of which have been recorded over the last few weeks.

Mallard numbers did not get too high.  From the initial dozen birds, around 30 were present when I departed.  Like the gulls, small numbers did fly in, but with the power hosing in progress, many just flew back out towards the Lough.  Quite a few legs were checked for rings, but still nothing for this winter.

The last 20 to 25 minutes before my departure, saw three adult Common, and the resident Herring Gull appearing, as well as 4 Jackdaws.

*******************************************************

      From Cameron Moore       
Cameron Moore has been in touch regarding a Mediterranean Gull, whose sighting turned out to be a first here in Northern Ireland.  Cameron had spotted the gull on the shore at Rhanbouy Park in Carrickfergus on the 23rd January 2022, but reported the bird to me on the 28th January.  The gull was colour-ringed -   PUP2 , which I did not recognise, and a search on my Ring Reading Spreadsheet, saw no records for that code.  I then checked the cr-birding website, and discovered that the bird was from Poland.  With this, I then entered Cameron's sighting onto the 'Live' Polish Ringing Database.

On Monday, having returned home from my weekly visit to Antrim Marina, I checked my emails over a cup of coffee, before grabbing a couple of hours sleep, seeing as I was working that evening.  Among the emails, was confirmation from Poland regarding Cameron's sighting, and I now had access to the gulls ringing and re-sighting history.

  PUP2 , had been 'Controlled' as a breeding adult female, on the 18th May 2017, at Lake Mietkowski, which is situated between the border with Czechia, and the town of Wroclaw in Poland.  The bird has a long history of re-sightings in Poland, stretching from June 2017, until June 2018, after which time the gull appeared in Britain for the first time.

It was recorded on three occasions in the Cardwell Bay area of Strathclyde in Scotland in July, August and September 2018.  After this time, the bird went un-recorded until the 9th May 2021, when it was once again spotted breeding at Lake Mietkowski in Poland.  Cameron's sighting is the first since the summer, with the gull having travelled 1,555 kms / 966 miles (WNW), to get to Carrickfergus.
  
With the bird having been 'Controlled', I have no idea when the gull was originally ringed.  When it was controlled, the bird was given a new metal ring, as well as the colour-ring.  The duration since it's recapture, is now 4 years, 8 months and 5 days.
 
My thanks goes to Cameron for this very interesting sighting, and I hope it likes Northern Ireland, and will return again some time. 
 
Mediterranean Gull  -    PUP2   -  Rhanbouy Park (Shore), Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim  (23 Jan 2022)
(Ringed as a Breeding Female, on the 18th May 2017, at Lake Mietkowski. Dolnośląskie, Poland )
(Photo Courtesy of Cameron Moore)
 
 *******************************************************
 
      From David Nixon       
David Nixon has been in touch regarding his first ringed gull discovery for 2022.  No doubt, searching for colour-ringed Brent Geese on the outer Ards Peninsular in County Down, David spotted a juvenile Black-headed Gull on the beach by Ballywalter Harbour.  The young gull was ringed -   21HX , and was spotted on Friday 28th January 2022.  Having taken a couple of photos, these were emailed to me along with the sighting details. 

At first glance, the colour-ring code seemed slightly different from similar rings that I have dealt with.  This winter, we have had another couple of juvenile Black-headed Gulls with Black Darvics, which have been recorded here in Northern Ireland.  On checking my Main Ring Reading Spreadsheet, those two were rung -   2HHL  &   2HFH , which had been ringed as chicks, at Marsh Lane Nature Reserve, in the West Midlands of England. 
 
Now realising that David's young gull had a different ring sequence, I consulted my enhanced copy of British Colour Ring Projects, concerning our Black-headed & Common Gulls, which was downloaded from the cr-birding site (PDF File).  I then discovered, that -   21HX , belonged to a project which I have had no dealings with in the past, with the project lead being Jill Warwick.  With a little research before emailing Jill, I discovered that this Black-headed Gull would likely to have been ringed in Yorkshire, England. 
 
It was not long when a reply from Jill arrived.    21HX , was one of  114 chicks to be ringed by the East Dales Ringing Group, at a site on Dallowgill Moor in North Yorkshire, England.  I submitted David's sighting to the BTO, but when the recovery details arrived, they belonged to the wrong bird.  I the realised, that I had submitted the wrong metal ring number, albeit, I was two digits out.  After re-submitting a corrected entry, I later received the correct recovery.

The distance from Dallowgill Moor, to Ballywalter in County Down, was 248 kms / 154 miles (WNW), and the duration as of David's sighting, was 7 months and 16 days.  Jill, in her own comments, was delighted with David's sighting, as this was the most distant re-sighting of any of the chicks ringed last summer, also being the first outside of the British Mainland.

My thanks again goes to David, as he has contributed with many gull sightings, along with photos to verify the ring numbers.  My thanks also goes to Jill for her prompt reply with the young gull's ringing details.  Hopefully, we will discover more of Jill's birds in the future. 
 
Juvenile Black-headed Gull  -    21HX   -  Ballywalter Harbour, Ballywalter, Co. Down  (28 Jan 2022)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 12th June 2021, at Dallowgill Moor, North Yorkshire, England)
(Photo Courtesy of David Nixon)
 
 *******************************************************
 

No comments: