Saturday 12 February 2022

Problem Redshank...

It is now Saturday evening, and only now am I finishing off this post.  I did not get out today, as I had to remain at home and babysit the wife's two cats again.  This gave me the opportunity to tidy up the garden again, as it was in a bit of a mess since the stormy weather we had.  Late in the afternoon, I settled down to watch the Chelsea match.  Being a fan since 1967, it was brilliant to see them winning the Club World Cup for the first time.  I did not go out last Saturday either, as it was a trifle too windy and wet - which is not good when carrying a lot of optical gear about.

Suzanne Belshaw has contributed a few ring sightings which has helped to 'beef up' this post.  Sadly, we are having problems with one of her birds, as the likely ringer has not responded to emails.  Such a shame when non-ringers go out to find ringed birds, not to get anything back for their efforts.  As a ringer and ring reader myself, I can understand how frustrating this is, and sadly such ringers are letting the rest of us down.  Not that long ago, another observer got in touch with me about a sighting he had made.  It was a German colour-ringed Med Gull, and I contacted the project lead and that observer got his result.  During a flurry of emails between us, I was informed that he had stopped reporting his ring sightings, as he got nothing in return.  This type of situation is appalling, which leads to many ring sightings going by the wayside.  I reckon, that ringing permits should be suspended for a period of time, and maybe then, certain project leads will 'pull up their socks'.
______________________________________________________________________________

      Antrim Marina - Monday 7th February 2022       
Today's weekly visit to Antrim Marina, began at the later time of 11am.  As my wife was not at work today, I had a lie in, which meant I did not have to grab a couple of hours sleep in the afternoon in order to set me up for my night shift at my own work.  On leaving home in Ballymena, there was a light drizzle, but as I approached the town of Antrim, the drizzle ceased, and not long afterwards there was 50/50 blue sky and cloud, and the sun began to shine.

On my arrival at the Marina, 80 to 90 Black-headed Gulls were already present, and numbers easily topped the 130 to 150 mark by midday, which was one of the best totals overall so far this winter.  By 1:30, the numbers dropped back to around the hundred mark, with the same amount still present when I departed at 2:30pm.  This was a disturbance free visit, as compared to last Monday, and by the time of my departure, I had read 33 colour-rings out of a total of 55 birds which have been recorded or ringed so far this winter.

Last Monday, I was on the verge of cancelling my visit due to two workmen who were undertaking power hosing on the wooden jetties, but having decided to stay and see what happens, I was then rewarded with the return of Black-headed Gull -   2FDL  which had not been seen here or anywhere else since January 2020.  I had caught and ringed the gull as an un-sexed adult on the 18th November 2019, and following on from last Monday's sighting -   2FDL  was recorded again today, being my 17th sighting at 11:28.

As I said, I arrived here at 11am, and by 11:57, I had read 27 colour-rings altogether.  The final 6 ring sightings took an age to record, as the metal-rung -   2ABL  (lost it's colour-ring), was read at 12:45, with -   2CSR , being my 33rd ring read at 14:06.  The 27th sighting of the day, was of interest in itself, as the bird -   2ABA , had put in another rare appearance.  It's first sighting this winter was recorded back on the 27th September 2021, and it's last re-sighting was recorded on the 6th November 2021, when spotted by Kate McAllister during one of her visits here.  

Although,   2ABA  had not been seen since November, I was not in the least worried, as over the years the gull has become an infrequent visitor.    2ABA , was ringed here at Antrim Marina, on the 28th December 2012, as an adult male.  It's duration since being ringed, is now 9 years, 1 month and 10 days.  So far, we have no idea where this bird goes to breed during the summer months.  As with many of the gulls which winter here at the Marina, we can only hope for re-sightings made elsewhere.

Black-headed Gull  -    2ABA   -  Antrim Marina, Antrim Town, Co. Antrim  (07 Feb 2022)
(Ringed as an Adult Male, on the 28th December 2012, at Antrim Marina)

One gull which I am keeping an eye on, and has had sightings elsewhere is -   2FDJ .  I did not record the gull last week, which was not surprising due to the level of disturbance here.  As I drove to Antrim today, I knew that a year ago (5th February 2021),   2FDJ  had been spotted at Strathclyde Country Park in Motherwell, Scotland, followed by three sightings at Kay's Park in Kilmarnock, Scotland (11th, 13th & 14th February).  By the 4th April 2021,   2FDJ  was then spotted at Tartu in eastern Estonia.  The gull's return to Antrim Marina, was recorded on the 16th October 2021, when spotted by Suzanne Belshaw.  With today's visit,   2FDJ  is still here, being my 32nd sighting at 14:05.  Surely this bird must have 'itchy wings', so I wonder if it will still be about next week.

  2CSL , is a bird which we know has been spotted in Poland in the past. It was my 13th sighting at 11:12, but this bird normally remains at the Marina until early to mid March before heading off.    2AAR , is another gull that we know goes to Poland.  It arrived back to the Marina as predicted on the 18th October 2021, and was recorded weekly until the 22nd November 2021.  Always among the first to be recorded during my weekly visits, it's sudden disappearance led me to believe it had died.  I was very quick in writing this gull off, and having not seen it since the 22nd November 2021, only confirms my hunch.

Colour Ringed Black-headed Gulls Recorded at Antrim Marina on Monday 7th February 2022
 2ABK   2BRA   2FHJ   2FIA   2CSK   2FDK   2ABN   2FFX   2FFL 
 2FHC   2CJT   2FHA   2CSL   2FHP   2AAK   2AAB   2FDL   2FDT 
 2FHL   2FFF   2FFJ   2FIF   2AAN   2FFA   2CSJ   2CTC   2ABA 
 2ABL   2ABS   2FFT   2AAA   2FDJ   2CSR       

Among the absentees today, was -   2ACV .  In the past, this bird was spotted at a breeding colony at the RSPB's Leighton Moss Nature Reserve in Lancashire, England.  Although -   2ACV  was not present today, the bird usually remains until late March or early April before moving on.  

Another absentee, is -   2AFD .  In recent years, this gull which was ringed at Antrim Marina, has become an infrequent visitor to the site.  In the past -   2AFD  has been spotted in Riga, Latvia, prior to the onset of the breeding season, but in the last couple of years, I discovered that -   2AFD  now prefers to winter at the car park of Antrim Town's - Castle Way.  This winter,   2AFD  surprised me somewhat, but announcing his arrival back in Antrim, having been spotted on the 22nd November 2021 at the Marina.  I then recorded the bird at the Castle Way car park on Christmas Day, which was followed by a third sighting of the winter, on the 10th January 2022, back at Antrim Marina.

As I did not have to return home for a couple of hours sleep, on leaving the Marina, I checked out a few sites in Antrim Town, but only recorded one ring, and that was -   2AFD , at Castle Way.  The latest ever date that I recorded -   2AFD  in Antrim occurred on the 22nd March 2015, and 13 day's later, on the 4th April 2015,   2AFD  was spotted in Latvia for the first time.  The gull was also spotted in Latvia the following year in April 2016.

  2AFD , was ringed at Antrim Marina as an adult male, on the 12th February 2014, and the duration as of today's sighting, is now 7 years, 11 months and 26 days.  I will be hoping for another couple of sightings before the gull departs, which will see it break the 8 year mark.

Black-headed Gull  -    2AFD   -  Castle Way Car Park, Antrim Town, Co. Antrim  (07 Feb 2022)
(Ringed as an Adult Male, on the 12th February 2014, at Antrim Marina)

Black-headed Gulls Recorded or Ringed This Autumn/Winter but Absent Today
 2AAR   2ACV   2AFD   2BRD   2CSA   2CSB   2CSX   2CTA 
 2FDV   2FFC   2FFN   2FFP   2FHF   2FHH   2FHK   2FHN 
 2FHT   2FHV   2FHX   2FIC   2FIH   2FIJ     

Other Birds at Antrim Marina
12 Mute Swans and 6 cygnets were already present on my arrival, and no more swans arrived during my visit.  The cygnets belonged to family groups of 4 & 2, along with their parents.  In recent weeks, I have been recording two ringed birds -   Z78574  &   Z78580 , and both were again present today.  Both were ringed in November 2020, at Ballyronan and Antrim Marina respectively.

30 Mallards were present, and numbers slowly built up to around the 60 mark by the time I departed.  Overall, the total was higher than in recent weeks, but still well below what would be expected for this time of the winter.  Reflecting on the low numbers, I'm now wondering if the mild winter, might be influencing the totals.  Once again, most legs were checked, but still no rings.

2 adult Herring Gulls were on the long wooden jetty when I arrived.  One was my usual resident bird, and the second, was likely to be a female with a small, very slim head.  A third adult arrived at 1:13, but was quickly chased off by the resident bird.

Just a single adult Common Gull was present on my arrival, but with working so hard with the Black-headed Gulls, I failed to note the time of further arrivals, though at times several Common Gulls could be heard when chasing the Black-headed's for their food.  Just before my departure, I made a head count of birds present, with just five adults.  As usual, numbers are well down, and for this time of year, I would expect 12 to 15 at least.  No sign of the small metal-rung female from Scotland.  Five sightings have been made for this bird this winter, having arrived back on the 16th August 2021 (earliest ever return), and last seen on the 3rd January 2022.  In the past, I have recorded this one through to early/mid March, so hopefully I will record it again over the next few weeks.

Other species recorded, were 6 Jackdaws, 1 pair of Pied Wagtails and a male Grey Wagtail.  The Ravens which were heard in the woodland directly opposite of the Marina in recent weeks, have now moved to the woodland further upriver.  Although not seen, I could hear them from the Marina.

*******************************************************

      From Suzanne Belshaw       
Suzanne Belshaw has been in touch again, concerning two colour-ringed birds, and a visit which she made to Antrim Marina.  I don't know why, but her original email has disappeared, so I'm really pleased that I had downloaded the photos and added the sightings onto my main Ring Reading Spreadsheet.

On the 27th January 2022, Suzanne visited the lake at Lurgan Park in County Armagh.  Whilst there, she had hoped to spot two Black-headed Gulls which she recorded on the 12th January 2022.  Both birds were first re-sightings this winter, having been recorded wintering here over previous winters.  One was a colour-ringed gull from Poland, whilst the second, was a metal-rung bird from Elvanfoot in South Lanarkshire, Scotland.  Although neither gull was re-sighted, she spotted another colour-ringed Black-headed Gull, which originated from the Elvanfoot colony.

The gull, colour-ringed -   2P97 , was a first sighting for Suzanne, but has been recorded in Northern Ireland on one other occasion.  That sighting was made by David Nixon, when he recorded the first ever re-sighting of -   2P97  at Corbet Lough in County Down, on the 1st December 2020.  Corbet Lough, is just 16 kms / 10 miles (SE) from Lurgan Park.

  2P97 , was ringed as a chick, on the 18th June 2019, at Elvanfoot, and the duration as of Suzanne's latest sighting, is 2 years, 7 months and 9 days.  The distance from the colony to Lurgan Park, is 202 kms / 125 miles (WSW), which coincidently was the exact same distance to Corbet Lough.  I sent an email to Iain Livingstone in Scotland, but as yet, no reply has been received.  I know Iain has been unwell of late, but he will reply at some point.  Having submitted Suzanne's sighting through my DemOn account, it appears that these are the only two sightings of - 2P97 so far.

Black-headed Gull  -    2P97   -  Lurgan Park Lake, Lurgan, Co. Armagh  (27 Jan 2022)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 18th June 2019, at Elvanfoot, South Lanarkshire, Scotland)
(Photo Courtesy of Suzanne Belshaw)

Suzanne's sighting of a colour-ringed Redshank, was always going to cause some problems.  Ringed with two colour rings - a plain Yellow ring on the right Tibia, and a White ringed, inscribed with the letters - HCA, on the left Tibia, Suzanne has recorded this bird twice at Tyrella Beach in County Down.  Her first encounter was made on the 9th November 2021.  A long distance photo, just about revealed the letters on the ring, but whether the plain ring was Yellow or Orange, could not be determined.  I know that 'lighting conditions' can cause problems trying to verify these colours.  Suzanne encountered the bird for a second time at Tyrella, on the 1st February 2022, when she was able to obtain better photos.  

I had a good idea who the ringer might be, and when I copied him into my reply to Suzanne, as expected, there has been no come back.  I also submitted the sighting to the BTO, but they had no ringing details for the bird.  The BTO have since contacted the International Wader Study Group, to try and locate the project lead.

As I say, I have a good idea who the ringer is, and having also copied in fellow Ring Reader - Graham McElwaine, he also suspected that it belonged to the ringer in question.  Graham, went on to say that he too, has spotted this same Redshank.  He recorded the bird at the Inner Bay at Dundrum in County Down, on the 30th July 2021, and again on the 8th September 2021.  David Nixon, also spotted the Redshank at the Inner Bay, on the 11th September 2021.  Graham also confirmed that the plain colour-ring was Yellow and not Orange.

For now, it will be a waiting game to see whether or not, we will ever receive the details for this bird.  Personally, I find it tragic, that someone such as Suzanne makes every effort to go out and record rings, and gets nothing back in return.  I have said this before, why ring at all, if a ringer cannot or will not respond to sightings.  One of the conditions of having a colour-ringing project, is to respond within a reasonable space of time.

Redshank  -  (White)  HCA - Yellow  -  Tyrella Beach, Co. Down  (01 Feb 2022)
(Waiting for Ringing Details)
(Photo Courtesy of Suzanne Belshaw)

On Saturday 22nd January 2022, Suzanne visited Antrim Marina to record some of my colour-ringed Black-headed Gulls.  She recorded 10 rings altogether, which included 7 with Blue Darvics.  These birds with the Blue Darvics, have been caught and ringed at the Marina more recently, so it will take some time to build up profiles for those birds - whether they are year round residents or just winter visitors.  

  2AAB , is a year round resident, having been recorded in every month of the year.  

  2AAN , I would consider, is a winter visitor, and has never been recorded at the Marina during the breeding season months of April, May or June.  The gull has been recorded back in early July, which would suggest that it nests somewhere locally, but not on the nearby 'Torpedo Platform'.  Having been ringed at the Marina in 2012, as was -   2AAB , I'm still waiting on a first breeding season sighting for -   2AAN .

  2CSL , was ringed at the Marina in 2017, and was spotted in Olsztyn, Poland, in March 2018.  No doubting this gull is a winter visitor.  

Colour Ringed Black-headed Gulls Recorded by Suzanne Belshaw at Antrim Marina on Saturday 22nd January 2022
 2AAB   2AAN   2CSL   2FDT   2FFF   2FFJ   2FHC   2FHL   2FHP   2FIH 

Suzanne was in touch again on the Wednesday 9th February 2022, asking if I had seen this Oystercatcher (see photo) recently, which she had spotted earlier that day at Whitehouse Lagoon.  I replied to say that I had recorded the bird's return to Whitehouse Lagoon, on the 29th August 2021, but for some reason, I had not seen it again despite several visits having been made to the Lagoon.  I had actually been at Whitehouse Lagoon four days before (Sunday 6th February (read below)), but once again there was no sign of it. 

With Suzanne's sighting, it is great to know the bird is still with.  The Oystercatcher was colour-ringed as a breeding adult back in 2015, in southern Iceland.  Originally, it bore two colour-rings on it's left leg - Green over White, but after time the Green ring slipped inside of the White ring, so presumably it's still there.  The right leg had a Green Flag (elongated ring), over a Black ring, but the Oystercatcher managed to loose the Flag.  The lose of Flag's by these Icelandic Oystercatchers had been quite a problem, so a colour-coded ring was introduced at a later stage.  As far as I know, the colours used are White or Grey, inscribed with two letters, on the right leg, with two colour-rings on the left leg.

Having been ringed in the summer of 2015, GW-GfN, first appeared at Whitehouse Lagoon, on the 6th September 2015, and has been recorded back at the Lagoon every winter since.  The distance from Mjóanef where the bird was ringed, to Whitehouse Lagoon, is 1,294 kms / 804 miles (SE), and the duration since being ringed, is now 6 years, 8 months and 4 days.

Again, my thanks goes out to Suzanne for her sightings and photos.

Oystercatcher  -  GW-WfN  -  Whitehouse Lagoon, Belfast Lough, Co. Antrim  (09 Feb 2022)
(Ringed as an Un-Sexed Breeding Adult, on the 5th June 2015, at Mjóanef, Southern Iceland)
(Photo Courtesy of Suzanne Belshaw)

*******************************************************

      Sunday 6th February 2022       
Today was not the best of day's to go out birding.  Throughout the day, there were some heavy showers of rain, and a fairly strong wind was constant.  Even the tide was not in my favour, as high tide was forecasted as being at 14:??.  I prefer to go out Ring Reading, as the tide recedes, when birds arrive to feed and also to bathe at freshwater sources.  Also on the agenda today, was to meet up with another birdwatcher come ringer, David Sterling.  I had decided to give up ringing with smaller ring sizes, due to my ever worsening close range vision.  Even with my glasses on, I cannot read the inscriptions on these rings.  Having informed my new Ringing Trainer - Richard Donaghey, he suggested that I should pass on the smaller sizes to David.  David and I decided to meet up at Kilroot Power Station just outside of Carrickfergus.

I had planned the day, to start at Kilroot and then make my way southwards visiting a number of sites on my way to Millisle in County Down.  On getting up on Sunday morning, I changed my initial first site and went to Glynn Railway Station, who's platform overlooks the shore on Larne Lough.  My target species were Common Gulls, and there quite a number of them, easily outstripping numbers of other gull species.  Having scoped everything in sight, two ringed Common Gulls were spotted.  One was ringed with only a metal ring, which was unreadable due to the distance, whilst the second bird bore a Blue Darvic, and was likely to be from my Rathlin Island project.  Although the tide was incoming, I still needed to walk out onto the foreshore, to cut down the distance for my camera.  Just as I reached a favourable spot, most of the gulls took flight and circled around over the lock.  Looking through my binoculars, Red-breasted Mergansers were diving like crazy, so there must have been a shoal of fish there.  As each bird resurfaced, the Common Gulls swooped down obviously trying to steal from them.  Remaining on site for a good chilly hour and a half, I never did relocate the colour-ringed bird.

Moving on, I was going to make a quick stop at Whitehead, before going to Kilroot.  I had no sooner started to drive off, when the heavens opened.  I now decided just to drive on to Kilroot.  A brief burst of text messages saw David arriving just after I had parked up.  The rain had just stopped, when David pulled up behind me.  Together we walked along the base of the seawall to view the distant gulls.  I was looking for two colour-ringed Black-headed Gulls, but spotted neither.  On walking back, the sea was by now breaching the base of the sea wall.  Back at our cars, we had a brief chat whilst the rings were exchanged.  David then headed back home, while I continued on my travels.

On passing the car park at Carrickfergus Harbour, I noticed a large number of Black-headed Gulls dotted about on the ground.  I swung in to look for two colour-ringed birds in particular, these being -   2ADB  &   2ADD .  I have made several attempts to record these gulls this winter, without success.  Today was no different, which adds to my belief that both birds have no died.

Moving on again, I then stopped by Whitehouse Lagoon.  Here, I was on the lookout again for a Polish colour-ringed Black-headed Gull - (White) T56W, and a second re-sighting this winter, of an Icelandic colour-ringed Oystercatcher.  Having tried over a dozen times for the Black-headed Gull, I now firmly believe it has also died.  Ringed in Poland in June 2012, (White) T56W, had been recorded here every winter, since first being discovered at the site in January 2015.

I recorded the return of the Icelandic Oystercatcher - GW-GfN, on the 29th August 2021, and today, I failed to obtain a second re-sighting.  I was beginning to doubt whether this bird was alive, but on Wednesday the 9th February 2022, I received an email from Suzanne Belshaw, to say that she had recorded the Oystercatcher earlier that day at the Lagoon.  I was glad to hear of the sighting, as usually this bird would be recorded on most visits.  Scoping through all the other gulls and waders, just one metal-rung Black-headed Gull was spotted - again, no use to me due to the distance between us.

I then headed on to Kinnegar Beach, on the County Down side of Belfast Lough.  By now, the tide was nearing it's highest point, so my attention went onto the pond, which is separated from the beach by a road leading to an army camp.  A freshwater river runs through the pond, exiting towards the sea.  Here, there were plenty of birds resting up until the tide once again recedes.  Oystercatchers and Black-headed Gulls were aplenty.  A fair number of Bar-tailed Godwits were seen, as were smaller numbers of Knot, Dunlin and Redshank.

Again, scoping through everything, just one metal was spotted, and this was on one of the Bar-tails.  Zooming in with my camera, I was frustratingly close to capturing details on the ring.  Some digits were caught, but these just could not be read.  Had that bird been 20 to 30 feet closer, I might have had better luck.  It would have been a great 'catch', if I could have caught that one.

By now time was getting on, so I drove straight to Millisle, on the outer Ards Peninsular in County Down.  Here I had great views of feeding Turnstones and Purple Sandpipers, with numbers of around 80 and 20, plus a hand-full of Dunlins.  I have never read a ringed Turnstone or Purple Sandpiper, but sadly non of these were ringed.  I was parked beside the seawall, and these birds were just feet away below me feeding through the seaweed.  Had a metal ring been spotted, I would have 'nailed' it. 

Around 100 gulls were dotted around the car park as I arrived, but I had to wait till they settled, as an elderly couple were feeding them with large amounts of goodness knows what - whatever it was, it wasn't bread.  Millisle had always been known as a 'hotspot' for Common Gulls, but today, there were the highest total of Herring Gulls which I have ever seen here, with many juveniles among them.

Looking for rings, I did eventually spot a Yellow Darvic on a Common Gull.  I instantly knew who this would be, and taking a few photos, I was correct, it was -   2BBC .  On my main Ring Reading Spreadsheet -   2BBC , has one of the most extensive list of re-sightings for a Common Gull, and today's sighting is now the 44th record overall.  The gull was ringed as a chick, on the 23rd June 2009, on Big Copeland Island, situated about 5 miles to the north from Millisle.  Since first being spotted at Millisle during the winter of 2010/2011, it has been recorded here at least once every winter barring 2014/2015.  The duration since being ringed, is now 12 years, 7 months and 14 days.

Although I do not bother recording Brent Geese these days, I could not help but notice I colour-ringed bird in a flock of 21 feeding on the grass beside the play park.  This bird had a lime ring inscribed with the letter '  D ' on it's right leg, and a Yellow ring on it's left leg inscribed with the number '  4 '.  I will not submit this sighting, as I have received no reply to the last few Brent sightings that I had reported.  By now the light was beginning to fade, so I made the long drive back towards home.  Not the best of days for reading rings, but something is always better than nothing.

Common Gull  -    2BBC   -  Millisle, Drumfad Bay, Co. Down  (06 Feb 2022)
(Ringed as a Chick, on the 23rd June 2009, on Big Copeland Island, Co. Down)

*******************************************************

No comments: